Hate changes from last software update for Galaxy S8! Can I reverse the update or uninstall it?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I'm referring to the software update number G950USQU2CRB99, installed March 31st 2018. It has changed some of my camera capabilities particularly in editing, as well as removed the option for the background image on my always on display. It has also changed some formats and options on other menus. I'd really like to have my phone working the same way it did before this update. Is that possible to fix?

Also, is there any way to stop the reminder the keeps popping up to install the next software update if I don't want to install it yet?

Thanks a bunch! ~ Eva

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately once an OS update is completed, even the factory image is replaced with the new OS. Only way to roll back to a previous version is to flash a ROM based upon said version (and, of course, this is not done with stock options and requires a more technical approach).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And wipes all your data, so back everything up.

The only way to stop future updates (they're not just reminders - after you say no enough, the phone just updates without asking you [and if you panic and turn it off, it becomes a paper weight]) is to root and freeze the update app.

CraftyMe2323

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
And wipes all your data, so back everything up.

The only way to stop future updates (they're not just reminders - after you say no enough, the phone just updates without asking you [and if you panic and turn it off, it becomes a paper weight]) is to root and freeze the update app.

No, root is not the only way. Once you've done the downgrade just turn this toggle off in developer options and you won't be bothered at all. Or one could use Package Disabler Pro to disable system updates. No need for rooting the phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180324-225323.jpg
    Screenshot_20180324-225323.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 44

CraftyMe2323

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
I'm referring to the software update number G950USQU2CRB99, installed March 31st 2018. It has changed some of my camera capabilities particularly in editing, as well as removed the option for the background image on my always on display. It has also changed some formats and options on other menus. I'd really like to have my phone working the same way it did before this update. Is that possible to fix?

Also, is there any way to stop the reminder the keeps popping up to install the next software update if I don't want to install it yet?

Thanks a bunch! ~ Eva

Go to Sammobile, download the latest 7.0 firmware files for your specific phone/model number, and downgrade using Odin. Backup all your data and sign out of all your accounts first. Follow directions exactly and you'll be all set. It's really easy. See my post above to prevent the system from updating again.

Virginia Smith42

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site
found the old s8 photo editing options in the 3dot options on upper right. However, they never replaced the resizing or save quality options from the s5..downloaded app Photoresizer.

mark7914

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
I have developer mode turned on and Auto update system is turned off.

However "Software Update" is always present in "Notifications", the little Settings icon has a little "1" superimposed over the top of it, every time I go into Settings it show a nag box at the top about the update, and now and again when I unlock it the phone throws up a full page dialog box with a "DOWNLOAD" button which has to be killed.

Android 7 works just fine. From what I've read, Android 8 doesn't so I'll be skipping that. "Needs more work".

Is there any way to completely stop all updates unless I elect to do so? And to get rid of the things above and put the phone back the way it was without the nag screens? I thought I could live with ignoring them but it's getting like my old Apple iPhone now which used to nag incessantly until it railroaded you into installing their latest bugs; it's driving me mad.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae