Sprint Galaxy S8 Every now and then phone requires me to enter my password instead of fingerprint?

jpwanabe

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
So every now and then after locking my phone, instead of letting me unlock with my fingerprint or my face it requires me to enter my password again. I am not talking about after I restart my phone, this has happened without me even setting my phone down and just locking it and immediately trying to unlock it. It feels like it is a set number of unlocks with my fingerprint that I am required to do my password. It seems to happen once every 2 to 3 days. While it is not horribly inconvenient, it is just really annoying. It doesn't help that my password is 18 characters long.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and know a way to disable it?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, it's a new security feature of the Oreo update. It will also happen when using smart lock at certain times, just to make sure 'you're still you' unlocking your phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not every now and then. Turning off the screen doesn't require your password, the lockscreen does. So if you turn the screen off, then wait until the lockscreen takes over you have to use your password.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's not every now and then. Turning off the screen doesn't require your password, the lockscreen does. So if you turn the screen off, then wait until the lockscreen takes over you have to use your password.

OP's talking about a different thing, though. Samsung's Oreo versions now will ask for your password when unlocking the phone at seemingly random intervals instead of letting you use fingerprint or Iris/Face recognition (just as if you had turned the phone on from power off or after a reboot).

TFBisquit

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
Yep same here. Already had this on my iPhone 6+, which required it every 48 hours. After an update that changed into 48 hours of not waking up. I don't use it in the weekends, hence why I know.
Pretty annoying Samsung now follows that same route. Seems every other day regardless if I just put it down.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yep same here. Already had this on my iPhone 6+, which required it every 48 hours. After an update that changed into 48 hours of not waking up. I don't use it in the weekends, hence why I know.
Pretty annoying Samsung now follows that same route. Seems every other day regardless if I just put it down.

Yeah, I'm sure there's a pattern to it, I just haven't figured it out (nor have I been really trying to). Just input the password whenever it wants it again and done. As long as it doesn't want it when I'm in the pool and using Smart Lock because of precisely that, I'm good.

JezUK

Jun 29, 2018
Visit site
Can someone please tell me how to disable this feature ?

I consider it potentially fatal if ever the phone is required in an emergency.

I'd rather uninstall this update or sell my phone and get a Google Pixel or something - it's that much of an issue as far as I'm concerned.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather uninstall this update or sell my phone and get a Google Pixel or something - it's that much of an issue as far as I'm concerned.

As far as I know, Pixel would have this same behavior.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781