Verizon Galaxy S8 Popups that take over the screen. Just started

ChiefDog

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
After downloading a couple of PodCast Apps (Podbean and Pod Addict (?)), I am getting popups randomly. So far only while on Facebook though.

I uninstalled the two apps and installed MalwareBytes, but it is still happening.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
After downloading a couple of PodCast Apps (Podbean and Pod Addict (?)), I am getting popups randomly. So far only while on Facebook though.

I uninstalled the two apps and installed MalwareBytes, but it is still happening.
If you mean Podcast Addict I have the full (pay) version and have never had problems with ads. I can't speak to the other app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The popups are only happening while using the Facebook app, or the Facebook mobile site on your browser?

Go to Settings>Apps and review all apps. Any of them that are unfamiliar?

ChiefDog

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
The popups are only happening while using the Facebook app, or the Facebook mobile site on your browser?

Go to Settings>Apps and review all apps. Any of them that are unfamiliar?

It is now happening on other apps, or no apps. Did it while I had Waze up and while it was on the home screen. Most of the popups say Play Store, but not all. I uninstalled a few apps that I didn't recognize. We will see if that makes a difference

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If it is an app, which seems likely, it's running in the background and you won't necessarily have to have an app running to see the ads.

Try safe mode. If it goes away in safe mode it will point to an app as the culprit. You'll have to try uninstalling things until it stops.

"Steps to Restart your Samsung Galaxy S8 in Safe mode
Turn on and use safe mode

Safe mode allows you to turn on the device with third-party apps disabled. Then you can easily uninstall apps that may be causing a conflict or software problem.

Turn the device off.
Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen.
When "SAMSUNG" appears on the screen, release the Power key.
Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.
Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.
Uninstall apps that are causing a problem.

Turn off safe mode

Press and hold the Power key.
Tap Restart."

https://www.getdroidtips.com/reboot-samsung-galaxy-s8-safe-mode/

ChiefDog

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Well, that worked only mostly. There is a mechanism on Google Ads were you have to opt out to specific origins individually. It opted me out to all but 2 places, but won't tell me who they are.

Look for DAA Webchoices. There is an app on Google Play Store called AppChoices that they say to use.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Found it. Settings -> Google -> Ads.

It defaulted to NOT Opt out of ads Personalization.

That's not it. Those ads are the in-line ones that show up in Google search, the Play Store, or Gmail. But Google never serves up fullscreen popups. There's still some adware somewhere that's causing the popups.

ChiefDog

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
If it is an app, which seems likely, it's running in the background and you won't necessarily have to have an app running to see the ads.

Try safe mode. If it goes away in safe mode it will point to an app as the culprit. You'll have to try uninstalling things until it stops.

"Steps to Restart your Samsung Galaxy S8 in Safe mode
Turn on and use safe mode

Safe mode allows you to turn on the device with third-party apps disabled. Then you can easily uninstall apps that may be causing a conflict or software problem.

Turn the device off.
Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen.
When "SAMSUNG" appears on the screen, release the Power key.
Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.
Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.
Uninstall apps that are causing a problem.

Turn off safe mode

Press and hold the Power key.
Tap Restart."

https://www.getdroidtips.com/reboot-samsung-galaxy-s8-safe-mode/

"If it goes away in safe mode it will point to an app as the culprit. "

How does it point to an app?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It just means that the problem lies with an app you installed, rather than a preinstalled app or the system. If the problem goes away in Safe Mode, then you probably have to uninstall apps one by one to narrow things down.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It just means that the problem lies with an app you installed, rather than a preinstalled app or the system. If the problem goes away in Safe Mode, then you probably have to uninstall apps one by one to narrow things down.

Sorry for the late reply. I was away. That is exactly what I meant. Thanks @B.Diddy.

jimmyjam22

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to tell you but opting out of adds will do nothing for you. I've had this annoying pop up problem before. Start with uninstalling your most recent apps you download when the pop ups started. Hope this helps.

itsanarchydog

Apr 23, 2018
Visit site
Yeah but the problem is I don't remember when they started and I don't remember what apps I downloaded when they started but thanks for your help if you know of any apps that can detect this for me I'd appreciate the help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith