Boost won't unlock Samsung S8.

Vlad_Dracul

Apr 20, 2018
Visit site
Hello,

I have bought the S8 from them back in Aug last year, and it was paid off in one shot, no discounts, and I've been with them for over 5 years, with no sorts of commitment or contractual plans, i.e. good standing.

I'm switching over to Verizon, and Boost is refusing to unlock my phone, claiming some warranty stipulation that they have to wait 12 months.

I even checked with the FCC, and they said they can't enforce their unlocking standards on Boost, for whatever reason.

Is there anything else I can do? A way to unlock it myself? I see plenty of third party phone unlock services, but I'm unsure if those are legit and safe to use. Perhaps maybe contact Samsung about the warranty thing?

Thank you.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately they are correct. Carrier models are required by law to be unlockable (if the hardware allows it), BUT it's still up to the carrier to set its own policies. In the case of Boost Mobile, their unlocking policy includes not having the device blacklisted, be totally paid off, AND being used on their network (or in a locked status) for at least 12 months.

3rd party unlocking services usually work, but I couldn't suggest one as the last time I used an online code was ages ago. Do note, however, that depending on the unlocking code method, the 'unlocked' status might be lost with an OS update (not typical).

anon(123479)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
As long as the phone is paid off, it should be unlocked, o purchased an S8 from TracFone and as soon as I paid it off, it was unlocked, I put an AT&T Sim in and did a factory reset and it installed at&t firmware, try using a different sim card,

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
As long as the phone is paid off, it should be unlocked, o purchased an S8 from TracFone and as soon as I paid it off, it was unlocked, I put an AT&T Sim in and did a factory reset and it installed at&t firmware, try using a different sim card,

Again, each carrier has their own unlocking policies. Some are more lenient than others (and some are adding further restrictions... I believe either ATT or Verizon added 3 months to their required service time to unlock).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe either ATT or Verizon added 3 months to their required service time to unlock).
Currently - AT&T 60 days for a phone on a plan, 6 months on prepaid.

Verizon - 4GLTE phones are unlocked. The unlock codes for postpaid 3G phones are posted on the site. Prepaid 3G period is 12 months until unlocking, though.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome