I have a Sprint S8+ purchased last year. Since the Oreo update, things have been getting a little wonky (some (not all) text msgs won't save, phone won't recognize SmartLock, everything seems to be slower, etc). I'm planning on doing a factory reset. I know how to do that but I want to know what I need to do, both before and after, to save/restore all of my data. I need data/settings for things like IHeartRadio, texts, contact info, VMs, email logins, FB, etc. Will I need to reinstall every app I've already installed? I have no issue saving pics, etc but I just can't afford to lose anything.
    05-14-2018 07:44 AM
    I would try Samsung Smart Switch. I've used it a few times with success. Some of what you want to backup may depend on what app you use. For instance if you're using Samsung Messages for sms Smart Switch may be enough. I use Textra so I use SMS Backup and Restore for sms backups just to be safe. Stuff like email and contacts *should* be syncing with Google (or some other cloud service).

Some of my apps allow me to save config files so I can restore them later. It really will depend on which apps you're using.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    05-14-2018 09:54 AM
    Yes, use accounts for your apps, if possible.
    I made a backup before factory reset with Samsung and Google in settings, then with smartswitch and PC. After the factory reset I got about half of my settings and apps back, smartswitch backup added another 30% or so. But eventually I needed to check everything and reinstall the missing apps.
    I do use a MicroSD card for photos, videos and music. So it took less than an hour to be fully back.
    In my experience it doesn't bring it back fully from any backup.
    On the bright side, contacts and agenda was good. I needed to set contacts ringtones again though. The general ringtone did migrate, as well as the one for messages.
    So be prepared for some minor adjustments.
    badcat likes this.
    05-14-2018 10:42 AM
    I use Sms Backup and Restore for texts. My photos are synced with Google photos, as well as contacts. Some individual apps that I use have backup features manually.

Now the past two phones I've had, I've used both Google's stock transfer program, and now the Samsung smart switch. Both did an OK job at restoring apps AND their settings, but some did not carry over settings.

One big thing for me is my Bluetooth pairings, and more importantly my saved wifi networks. There is NO way to back these up or restore them, so the only way is to use the method I just mentioned. However, my last phone did not transfer these, and after looking it up, there is literally no way to get them back from Google, as it's not something the user has an option of seeing. Luckily, I did a quick factory reset, did the restore process again, and they were there.
    badcat likes this.
    05-23-2018 10:27 PM