Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

I just got an update yesterday that I assume was the monthly security update. Had something changed in the way that updates are applied?

It seems like I have a maximum of 24 hours from the time the update notice appears to apply the update. The last two updates have been applied at inconvenient times. Yesterday's update in particular was inconvenient as right when I turned my phone on and started up iHeartRadio after work, the phone decided to restart and apply the update on its own.
    07-18-2018 07:13 PM
    Don't know what device you have there, but usually you can update manually, or if you auto update, you can set a time for the device to apply the update..
    In the S8, you can toggle auto update from developer options, and the actual time you want to apply them from the software update menu.. Don't ask me why...
    Attached Thumbnails Software updates-screenshot_20180719-111400_settings.jpg   Software updates-screenshot_20180719-111235_settings.jpg  
    07-18-2018 08:18 PM
    I have the S8. The update itself is downloaded automatically on wifi, which is fine since I keep wifi on and the update downloads overnight.

The applying of the update is where the issue is. I'll take a look at the settings in the screenshot and see if I can set it to apply the updates at a time other than 24 hours after it's downloaded
    07-19-2018 08:50 PM
    I've tried everything I have read and still I'm still getting the pop up messages anytime I have an incoming texts help please it's so annoying.
    07-19-2018 09:05 PM
    I've tried everything I have read and still I'm still getting the pop up messages anytime I have an incoming texts help please it's so annoying.
    This is an issue not related to this thread, but go into the messaging app itself and make the message pop-ups stop by changing the Importance to High or something less where pop-ups do not occur.

07-21-2018 12:41 AM
    Don't know what device you have there, but usually you can update manually, or if you auto update, you can set a time for the device to apply the update..
    In the S8, you can toggle auto update from developer options, and the actual time you want to apply them from the software update menu.. Don't ask me why...
    This seems good advice, but it doesn't work. My S8 is a case-in-point. It kept nagging at me to install the Oreo update. I have no interest in it, just a quick glance at forums like this shows it to have a number of bugs and many have experienced reduced battery life. It is fine as it is.

I eventually reset the phone, denied it internet access, turned on the options above exactly as per your screen shots, and this was fine for about a week.

Today, the phone appears to have downloaded the Oreo update by itself despite the settings, using data I didn't authorise to be used, and is putting up a new nag screen with "LATER", "Install Now" and "Install Overnight" IIRC.

The settings are still exactly as per your screen shots. There is a bug in the phone which means it simply ignores them and does whatever it likes.

It's going to have to go back to Samsung for a software repair as this part of the system simply doesn't work properly.
    07-21-2018 01:54 PM