Top part of screen not responding

KjllJoy Productions

Aug 12, 2018
Visit site
Okay so recently my the top portion of my S8+ has stopped working... I have dropped this phone but that was over 5-6 months ago and had no issues... I cant pull down my notification/quick settings... and I cant post on things like Instagram or facebook cause that top portion is unresponsive... the issue started randomly and out of no where about 2 days ago, and its quite frustrating and become to worry be because I dont have the money to replace it or have it fixed... Ive also only had this phone about 8 months so its not very old at all. Im hoping someone knows why this may be happening and if theres a way to fix it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does it persist in Safe Mode? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-34283. If so, then it's likely a hardware problem with the digitizer/screen. Maybe there's just a loose connections somewhere, but you'll have to take it to a repair shop to find out. If there's no obvious damage on the phone, you could also contact Samsung for warranty repair, but if they do determine that the problem was due to a drop, then warranty won't cover it.

Quirshi

Oct 3, 2018
Visit site
Okay so recently my the top portion of my S8+ has stopped working... I have dropped this phone but that was over 5-6 months ago and had no issues... I cant pull down my notification/quick settings... and I cant post on things like Instagram or facebook cause that top portion is unresponsive... the issue started randomly and out of no where about 2 days ago, and its quite frustrating and become to worry be because I dont have the money to replace it or have it fixed... Ive also only had this phone about 8 months so its not very old at all. Im hoping someone knows why this may be happening and if theres a way to fix it.

I am having the same issue where I've dropped it before and it was working just fine. All of a sudden I am now not able to use the top part of my screen. This was not due to a drop and just happened out of the blue. Were you able to get it fixed?

Jeff Schindler

Jan 11, 2019
Visit site
I am having the same issue where I've dropped it before and it was working just fine. All of a sudden I am now not able to use the top part of my screen. This was not due to a drop and just happened out of the blue. Were you able to get it fixed?

Count me in on this issue. Same scenario. The phone is about a year old. I dropped it on blacktop about 6 months ago and the bottom of the screen cracked a bit, but the phone was still usable. Now suddenly about a week or two ago, I could not longer tap the top half-inch of the screen - mainly noticed this because I couldn't pull down the notif bar. Now, the "dead" area has gotten bigger - it's about the top inch of the screen. I did confirm that it's also dead in safe mode, so is almost certainly a hardware issue. I can suffer through as most of the phone is usable, but may have to take it in for repair (still have a year to pay it off).

amang3

Jan 26, 2019
Visit site

I had this issue about a month after I got the phone (so about in November) and one day it simply went away. But now, it came back and its really annoying. I've tried force stopping and uninstalling apps that may be causing the bug but nothing has worked. I have also tried all the general things you can find from google searching the issue. Please let me know if someone has found a good solution.

EysteinnGudni

Mar 7, 2019
Visit site
I have the same problem, about 10% of my top screen is not working since it dropped to the floor. I can't afford to fix it so I was just living with it. I got tired of turning to landscape, and lots of apps don't support landscape, so I downloaded an app called Rotation Control by CrapeMyrtle (you can also search for Orientation control). This allows me to turn the phone completely upside down no matter what app I'm using and get access to things at the top. I use the settings Guard (prevents other apps from controling the orientation) and Auto Rotation (rotates all four ways).

I got tired of turning the phone upside down, so I downloaded an app called Screen Resizer by Ari Michael. This app should allow me to remove the top part completely, but after installing I found out that I need to root my phone, which I haven't figured out how to do. But thought someone might find the app useful.

dukesalami

Mar 7, 2019
Visit site
I turned on one handed gesture mode which makes the screen smaller. It's not the best but it allows you to access the top part of apps(usually where the settings/search is).

Settings->Advanced Features->One-Handed Mode

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969