External Microphone with an S8 Plus

Bigus34

Banned
Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
Hi

I bought a TRS to TRRS adapter (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L6C8PN0) so that I can plug in an external microphone to improve sound on my video recordings (of me playing the guitar!).

I have tried 3 microphones - a Sony battery powered condenser mic (with fresh battery), an audio-technica cardoid and a takstar condenser mic and they all seem to record except that the volume of the audio is extremely low - as in I have to have the volume on the phone or PC (after xferring videos) right up at the top to be able to hear it.

Has anyone had any success using an external mic and getting a recording level similar to the phone's built-in mic?

Thanks
Bigus

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You probably need a mic amp between the mic and the phone. Most external mics are made for close talking - 6" at most. Even the TAKSTAR SGC-598 probably won't pick up past a few feet.

(Most video is done with multiple mics, so the entire area can be covered - or the performers wear clip-on wireless mics. Even commercially, they don't try to cover more than a few feet with a single mic. [It's not the late 1920s any more.])

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781