Text messaging application.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I still use Textra. Thought I would switch when dark mode came out for Google, but I hate several little things about it. The colorful contact icons, the rounded bubbles, and especially the small font size.
I just feel that Textra also works a bit smoother than Android Messenger works as well overall.

Ethageek

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
I use the Note 9 stock messaging app on my Galaxy S8.

I get the blue messaging app icon no more ugly yellow chat bubbles and it actually has a lot of really cool features/fixes

I used textra for the longest time but from the phone app if I click message instead of call it brings up the Textra Square Reply Window which I asked them to make an update to have an option of turning that completely off and the automated reply said thanks for feedback or whatever.

(there's a way to turn it off and use Android inline reply which I have done but that reply window still comes up a lot which is annoying as hell)

Now if only the Gif compressor could actually not speed of the gifs before I send them that would be great :) (for now I need to use an app that makes the Gif under 1200kb that's the only fix unfortunately)

Ethageek

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
I use Next it does everything that everyone has mentioned in this post plus more. The best app on the app store to use. Text delay., Change fonts, theme customization great support and several dark themes

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I love Textra, but since they just won't implement texting from a computer (they've categorically, and a couple times quite rudely, stated that they're not interested in ever implementing that and you can use crappy relay services like Pushbullet or MightyText). So because of that I was forced to switch. IMHO Google's Messenger is just awful; too plain for my taste. Therefore, my 'weapon of choice' is now Pulse. It's nearly as good as Textra (missing a couple items, but good for the most part) and for 10 bucks you can get the lifetime license to do texting over pretty much any device out there and also from a web browser, so they win on that front. Not sure if they integrate with Android Auto, but since they are still one of the few with an ACTUAL app for Android Wear 2, I don't see why not. (The app is free if you don't need the cross-platform/web sync feature)

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Pulse is the best. Though I love textra, but without the ability to text from a PC its a no win for me anymore. I do wish pulse would support more features on the PC or web app (like sending gifs and such) but I'm sure it'll come with time.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Pulse is the best. Though I love textra, but without the ability to text from a PC its a no win for me anymore. I do wish pulse would support more features on the PC or web app (like sending gifs and such) but I'm sure it'll come with time.
Fair fair enough point! I tried texting from my PC, but I just don't need that functionality. Good point....

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Would Pulse work from an Android tablet with the app, and not the web browser?

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Google Messaging. While it's on the plain side, it's totally convenient for texting especially when I'm using my computer. I don't want to phrase it as if this is only for a certain age group, but I've grown out of the need of customizing my phone. I did it when I was in my early 20's and was switching phones constantly and created ringtones, rooted, did all that. But now, I just like for things to work and not have to work hard to get it.

On my Note 9, I'm able to slide down from the notification panel and reply to messages on there. Not sure if everyone else can

kandasmom

Jun 10, 2016
Visit site
I have been using Chomp SMS for years now. Started off with the free version and then happily paid for the app. I have had a Nexus 5, Galaxy S7, and now the Essential Phone. I don't think I will ever use any other texting app.

TwistingSoul

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm on ProjectFi on a 2016 Pixel XL, so apologies if this doesn't fit in the Samsung phones thread. The default Google Messages app works just fine for me. I don't need a ton of customization, and while I can't have a specific colored dot for my contacts anymore, it's at least able to do texting via messages.android.com, which also works for me.

scottmicklo1

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I use Textra, and have been for years. It is by far and away, the best texting app! Yes, no computer interface. But the customization available is wonderful and I live the features.

I would like for them to incorporate something tonoet the receiver know when I fed a text on (from whom).

Also, I am very disappointed to find out the color notifications I have used - so I know who has texted without opening the phone screen- Google has forced them to change to only white notification. Does anyone know why Google is forcing this change?

bassoprofundo

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
With AT&T, you have one choice if you want the Advanced Messaging features to work, and that's the stock clients that ship with the phone. I used to switch prior to the rollout of those features, but now I'm a hostage. :(

Last edited:

Shon123

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I still use Textra. One annoying thing they've changed is when you have group messages muted, you have to open the app to see that you have messages. Before, you could see the badge count on the app without having to open it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol