Why does my S8 not allow file transfer?

Frisk7

Dec 10, 2018
Visit site
I have two S8 phones (that is, my wife has one and I have the other one), and they should be identical. They were bought at the same time and should be set up the same way - however, there is one very annoying difference.

I wanted to transfer some photos off the phones to my computer.

When I plug my wife's phone in, everything is fine. I get a pop-up asking me whether to allow this and then I can then navigate to the DCIM directory and fetch the files I wanted. No issues.

If I plug my own (supposedly identical) phone in (using the same cable, and same computer), it doesn't work. Sure, it starts charging, but it doesn't seem to recognize that there is a computer on the other end of the USB cable, and there is no pop-up message.

If I go to Settings/Connections/Mobile Hotspot and Tethering, I see that "USB tethering" is just greyed out.

I also tried activating Developer options and turned USB debugging on. No effect.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Last edited:

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
There should be a notification, possibly minimized, when you're plugged in that lists options such as "charge this device, transfer files, transfer photos" etc. I don't have my S8 anymore, so I may be wrong on the exact names, but that's the theme.

captkronos

Dec 13, 2018
Visit site
You shouldn't need USB debugging on, but also it shouldn't hurt. In Developer options what setting do you have for "Select USB configuration"? MTP?