microSD card not inserted, but it's there and loaded

iTeedee

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I've used a 128Gb microSD card for data storage in my S8+ since 2017. Today I tried to move a couple apps over to the card as well. Now all of a sudden, Samsung MyFiles reports "no card inserted" and Storage shows only internal memory available.

Never had an issue. Previously data and file storage, could moving apps over cause this issue? Have I lost everything? It's trashed now? I had thousands of pictures there and documents. Most is backed up to Google Drive and Google Photos, but not all.

Ideas, comments, suggestions?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you remove the card and insert it into another device or a PC, can it be read? If not, the card failed or got corrupted. It's possible you have a counterfeit card that is actually a lot smaller that it claims to be -- once you exceed the true storage size, things can get corrupted.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Counterfeit or not, if it doesn't work, go to SanDisk microSD Tech Support, upper right, live chat, and talk to them. It's still under warranty. (The cheapest SanDisk cards come with a 5 year warranty.) Don't mention "counterfeit" to them. (They've been known to replace counterfeit cards if you have a bad card and act nicely with the rep. Then they'll notify you, after they check the card out, that it was counterfeit "but enjoy the replacement".)

And from now on, make sure that everything important is backed up. Even optical media (CDs, DVD) have a known failure rate after a long enough time. There's no such thing as "permanent storage". (Even stone outcroppings get subducted.)