S8 continuously "wakes up" for no reason

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Among other duties, I manage 19 company cellular devices, mostly iPhones, a couple of flip-phones (for maintenance workers), and one Galaxy S8.

I was in the S8 guy's office chatting when his device simply woke up for no obvious reason. He complained that it does so constantly, every few minutes - a fact born out as we continued our conversation. About every two or three minutes the phone, which normally displays a digital clock on a black screen background while sleeping, wakes up to a full color blue background.

There are no new notifications (at least, none obvious), no waiting voicemail, texts, etc.

Why is this S8 waking up every two or three minutes? I'm an Android guy, but most all of my recent experience involves Google's Nexus and Pixel lines; I haven't had a Samsung device in many years.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does he have a case on? If so, is it one of those flipcovers with the cover folded back? I'm not entirely sure if this is how S-View covers work, but if it uses magnets embedded in the cover to trigger a smartcover sensor in the bezel, then it could be that the magnet is too strong, intermittently activating and deactivating the sensor from behind the phone.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Not a flip coverr, no. More like an OtterBox.

But, he may have a screen protector installed; I'll have to check on that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08