Verizon Galaxy S8 Good No Root Firewalls?

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Just looking for the best "no root needed" firewall. Was steered to NoRoot Firewall, but the last update was in 2014. Then NetGaurd/mobiwol, but...

I don’t mind paying. Like the idea of blocking/allowing by port, protocol and ip. I used to build my own firewalls that way back about 20 years ago when I was a Linuxhead. But lost all interest in privacy matters about 10 years ago. Abandoned desktops and laptops. Now I drive an iOS iPad Pro 12.9" (2017) and a Galaxy S8+ Android solely. Getting a Galaxy Tab 4 in a couple months too. That’ll complete my ‘stable’.

NOW, I’ve got a rabid concern for security/privacy again. RETIRED and looking for mind-lifting hobbies I guess.

For now, I run Malwarebytes and 1Password on both machines. NOW FIREWALLS ;-)

If there’s any good security forums for Android and/or iOS please advise.

Thanks.

Alan- (Retired Happy Dog)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You are aware that Android runs on Linux, right? (Android is just a program, not an OS.) And I'm sure you know how to firewall in Linux. (At least, as much as you can without root.)

Not many people worried about security enough here for much firewall discussion, but https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8 might have some developers interested in firewalls.

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
You are aware that Android runs on Linux, right? (Android is just a program, not an OS.) And I'm sure you know how to firewall in Linux. (At least, as much as you can without root.)

Not many people worried about security enough here for much firewall discussion, but https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8 might have some developers interested in firewalls.

Hi Rukbat,

Yes, I do know Android is Linux ‘based’ but with the caveat that Android is thoroughly invaded by Google and my carrier Verizon and the device manufacturer Samsung. Android is a far cry from the Linux flavors of yesteryear. Linux came clean back-in-the-day.

That being said I’m not looking to build or re-build ‘anything’ anymore - just configure what’s going on.

So THANKS very much for the input.

Alan - (Retired Happy Dog)