How resilient to scratches is an S8's screen?

jdocdp

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I watched this video and the guy in it says that keys and coins wouldn't scratch an S8's screen, which seems rather strange to me as I wouldn't expect a smartphone's screen to be that resilient.

The guy only scraches it for a few seconds. I'd like to know what should I expect in the long run.

So, after a year, should I expect long nails to have scratched my S8's screen because of daily use? If coins/keys won't damage it, then nails won't either, right?

Also, is it ok to wipe my phone's screen with any cloth other than standard screen wiping cloth (e.g., the cotton t-shirt or sweater that one would wear at a time). Would dust or other particles on the fabric scratch the screen?

Source video:
Galaxy S8 Durability Test - Scratch, Burn, and BEND tested
@ 0:45 ~ 1:15
http://youtu.be/w_dTXKhFWtE

jdocdp

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
Keys and coins and nails haven't been able to scratch Gorilla Glass (used in high end smartphones) for the last 10 years.

Oh sorry, haha, I'm not so tech savvy, unfortunately.

So, basically, if something as hard as keys and coins won't scratch the phone's screen, it is rather first impressions aesthetics for smartphones to ship with these slim silicone screen protectors that the companies box them with, isn't it?

I always thought you were supposed to leave these aforementioned screen protectors on, until you switched to a better one or you simply didn't care about scratches on your phone.

Thanks for your response by the way.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Oh sorry, haha, I'm not so tech savvy, unfortunately.

So, basically, if something as hard as keys and coins won't scratch the phone's screen, it is rather first impressions aesthetics for smartphones to ship with these slim silicone screen protectors that the companies box them with, isn't it?

I always thought you were supposed to leave these aforementioned screen protectors on, until you switched to a better one or you simply didn't care about scratches on your phone.

Thanks for your response by the way.

I don't know what you've been buying, but I've had phones with Gorilla Glass for the last 10 years, as well as everybody in the house, and our phones don't come with screen protectors that you can use. There's branding on them and letters that obscure the screen.
However, these things can still get scratched. For example, sand is made of silica, which is harder than glass or metal, and can scratch your phone. Also, with adequate pressure, coins and keys can still scratch harder items. But normal jingling in the pocket should provide that much pressure.

jdocdp

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
I don't know what you've been buying, but I've had phones with Gorilla Glass for the last 10 years, as well as everybody in the house, and our phones don't come with screen protectors that you can use. There's branding on them and letters that obscure the screen.
However, these things can still get scratched. For example, sand is made of silica, which is harder than glass or metal, and can scratch your phone. Also, with adequate pressure, coins and keys can still scratch harder items. But normal jingling in the pocket should provide that much pressure.

Thank you, that was very insightful. :)

And as far as wiping the screen with, say, the t-shirt one currently wears instead of screen wipes, that should be fine, right? Meaning, there would need to be sand or other equivalent particles on the t-shirt's fabric to harm the screen.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, that was very insightful. :)

And as far as wiping the screen with, say, the t-shirt one currently wears instead of screen wipes, that should be fine, right? Meaning, there would need to be sand or other equivalent particles on the t-shirt's fabric to harm the screen.

Yes.

Bud P

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
Yes keys and other items will scratch the glass. If you are like my wife and just throw your phone around in your purse you will find out. gorilla glass on the S series has the lowest glass rating of all phones as of a few months ago anyway. s8 plus is awful. Have fun invest in cover and case. I would suggest case that will absorb impact when dropped. Search phone ratings and reviews. My opinion only from years of being a Samsung user

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Budp, what a load of fud. None of that is true. A key will never scratch the glass. Either debris on the key can scratch it or enough pressure will punch through the glass. The s8 has the same scratch test rating as all the other gorilla phones in the past several years.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49