Hello everyone,

Just a quick public service announcement? (I'm not sure what to call this... a warning sounds stupid...)

I've recently dropped my phone off to a Samsung Authorized repair shop called uBreakiFix not to far from me for Screen Burn In and the Battery just depleting without even using the phone.

After they took my phone to be repaired in a few hours I got a call saying I was running custom software that has voided the warranty and the phone is now in a boot loop. After explaining to them that the software was indeed not custom and from Samsung he said he'll call me back and verified with Samsung that the phone was on beta testing software and had to reset it (all the way back to android 8)

While my phone did get fixed it took me about a few hours to get the phone back to android pie beta (couldn't live without OneUi and night mode) and download all my apps (thankfully my sd card keeps all my pictures and music and I removed the sd card before repairs)

TLDR: Beta software and repair shops dont mix. Even if the beta is official from the company

That is all lol (oh and my battery is back to amazing )
    03-04-2019 09:30 AM
    Not necessarily. They probably had no idea what they were doing (if you go by the status shown on recovery mode, I can see how a lot of people would think you're running a custom ROM...because, well, that's what it says right there when running a Beta release). BUT the bootloop issue had nothing to do with you running a beta version (unless the beta was way too buggy) and them trying to repair the phone. Most likely they tried to repair it, something went awry, and they effed up or the phone was just about to do so anyway.

Since it's a beta release, they won't install it as 'deault', but they usually will just factory-reset a phone. This is why most shops always tell you to back up your data because they might even just factory reset the phone without asking you (at least you were given a heads up). Fine print, right?
    03-04-2019 09:36 AM