T-Mobile Galaxy S8 How to get Pie on BYOD brought to Tmobile from Verizon

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, I just moved from Verizon to Tmobile and brought my VZW Galaxy S8. When I check for software updates, it says my phone is up to date and I'm still running Android 8.0. Tmobile says I may not be able to even get to Pie on my S8 because it wasn't from Tmobile originally. Is loading manually the only way to get this update?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
First make sure that an update for the Verizon S8 is available. If there is, and you don't see that through an OTA update, it might be because Verizon is blocking the update to having a Verizon SIM (I don't think they do, the only ones I remember doing this was AT&T, but it might be the case). You should also be able to download an update (again, IF available for that specific model) through Samsung's Smart Switch on a computer or by taking your phone to a Best Buy with a Samsung Experience area.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
So it looks like Verizon has released the Pie update for the Galaxy S8 but my phone continues to say it's up to date. Anyone have an idea as to how I can get Pie update on my formerly-Verizon S8 that's now BYOD on Tmobile? I tried SmartSwitch and it says my software is up to date, which of course, it isn't.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So it looks like Verizon has released the Pie update for the Galaxy S8 but my phone continues to say it's up to date. Anyone have an idea as to how I can get Pie update on my formerly-Verizon S8 that's now BYOD on Tmobile? I tried SmartSwitch and it says my software is up to date, which of course, it isn't.

Actually...it might. Remember that updates are staged roll outs most of the time. Even if the update is out, it might still take days/weeks to actually reach your specific device.

But if you're in such a hurry, you can always take it to a BestBuy with a Samsung Experience area and they can do it manually for you. JUST REMEMBER TO BACK THINGS UP BEFORE YOU DO. You never know what could happen, and even if all goes well, a full factory reset is always recommended after a major update like this.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
UGH still no update, still on January 1 security patch! Best Buy says they won't do it since it's originally a VZW phone now on Tmobile. Something about updating with tmo software will brick the phone. I'm going to have to get a new phone on Tmobile. Maybe I'll get the S9. I love this S8 and don't really want to have to get rid of it.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Samsung is offering a $350 trade in on their website for a Galaxy S10E. If you purchase the unlocked one, then the cost would be $400.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is offering a $350 trade in on their website for a Galaxy S10E. If you purchase the unlocked one, then the cost would be $400.

Yeah, went back to verizon as of today. Tmobile service just wasn't good enough for where I travel. Phone is now updating to Pie.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance