Galaxy S8 settings has a "High battery usage" message after Pie update

jetpacksam

Apr 20, 2019
Visit site
I searched and didn't see this listed, so here goes:

After updating to Pie in my S8, on the main settings pager there is now a very annoying "High {background} battery usage detected" message and despite all my digging, I can't find a way to permanently dismiss this unwanted alert.

Yes, Samsung I know they are running in the back ground, leave me alone please.

Does anyone have any idea how to disable this?
Is there away to "blacklist" apps you know are running or is there a way to just shut it off? Searched on line, no joy either.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I searched and didn't see this listed, so here goes:

After updating to Pie in my S8, on the main settings pager there is now a very annoying "High {background} battery usage detected" message and despite all my digging, I can't find a way to permanently dismiss this unwanted alert.

Yes, Samsung I know they are running in the back ground, leave me alone please.

Does anyone have any idea how to disable this?
Is there away to "blacklist" apps you know are running or is there a way to just shut it off? Searched on line, no joy either.
Device care>tap battery>3 dots upper right corner >toggle notifications off

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Ok now there's a problem, on restarting the phone, the notification remained.
The notifications is still toggled off, but the blue bar at the top of the settings "splash" page remains. I am really stumped here.
Welcome to the forums. I'm not sure if the same steps work in Samsung devices but worth a try. Go to settings - apps & notifications - see all xxx apps - three dots top right - show system - select 'Android system' - notifications - scroll down and uncheck 'apps consuming battery'. Tell us how it goes.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok now there's a problem, on restarting the phone, the notification remained.
The notifications is still toggled off, but the blue bar at the top of the settings "splash" page remains. I am really stumped here.
I'm surprised it came back
Can you post a screenshot of it?

jetpacksam

Apr 20, 2019
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. I'm not sure if the same steps work in Samsung devices but worth a try. Go to settings - apps & notifications - see all xxx apps - three dots top right - show system - select 'Android system' - notifications - scroll down and uncheck 'apps consuming battery'. Tell us how it goes.

Very detailed, thank you, took me right there. Unfortunately, it is un-toggled.
Acknowledging the notification clears the message, until you exit the main screen. Any movement deeper into settings or exiting the app brings it right back up when I enter settings again. As an FYI, the action above only disables sound, it does not as far as I can tell have any affect on the visual display in the main settings menu.
Just to clarify, so I don't send anyone down the rabbit hole, this is not a notifications bar issue, that is gone.
This is about the main "splash page" in the settings area.
No I don't think anyone here is stupid, but I've miss-understood things with far more information provided and I don;t want people chasing a problem that can't be fixed because of a miss-understanding I created.
To quote Chad Vader from the Rifftrax "Attack Of The Clones" "I'll be quiet now".

jetpacksam

Apr 20, 2019
Visit site
Yes, it sends me to the Battery section of Device care. To anticipate:
Un-ticking the notification, clears it, but again, only until you leave the screen, when you go back there, any unticked items are re-ticked. The 3 Dot brings up settings as usual but notifications is not toggled.
I thought it might be an app setting but the only thing there is basic On/Off notification.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, it sends me to the Battery section of Device care. To anticipate:
Un-ticking the notification, clears it, but again, only until you leave the screen, when you go back there, any unticked items are re-ticked. The 3 Dot brings up settings as usual but notifications is not toggled.
I thought it might be an app setting but the only thing there is basic On/Off notification.
Long press the device care >app Info>notifications>turn off the toggle for device care

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
no joy. Toggled off. Same cycle remains. It wasn't there before Pie, so I wonder if maybe this is a default. Annoying as hell if it is.
Good question, I looked at my s9+,note9,s10+ all good , later when I get home I'll check my 8+ since it's in the family with the note8

JvBeem

Aug 12, 2019
Visit site
Hi Jetpacsam, I also have a Galaxy 8 (active) and recently got an update with a persistent notification of high battery usage. Did you find a way of resolving it?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I get the same message but only about once a day
Still it is annoying and unnecessary. I've checked the battery usage of the apps and it is less than 1% after an entire day. It would be better to have a list to ignore certain apps as there is with data. If I get a genuine battery sucker I would like the notification.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S8 settings has a "High battery usage" message after Pie update

Forget it

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol