Very disappointed. Same thing happened when I had the S3 and the S5 came out. The update to operating system was pushed and went from all day usage to needing 3 batteries to get through a day. Now I have S8+ that I am happy with always making it through the day. Samsung releases the S10 a new update is pushed to my phone and now I cannot make it through the day on the same battery. With both phones I made no changes to my settings and in both cases my battery usage changed dramatically. Could it be a co-incidence both times? Possibly. But also could be the same issue IPhone was busted for years ago. Very intentional so you would upgrade your phone. Please help me figure why the battery life on this phone would change so dramatically after the update with no setting changes. Because right now it smells bad to me. Having 2 Samsung phones have the same thing happen as soon as they got 2 versions behind. I have been a Samsung fan but this is making me question it. If there is an intentional update that ruins the enjoyment of the phone so that I will upgrade. I will leave Samsung phones behind. I pay a premium so that I do not have to upgrade every time a new version comes out.
    04-27-2019 12:08 PM
    There is a way to prevent the phone detecting and downloading updates, but it's too late if you've already allowed it to update itself. And it's quite a complex and lengthy process involving resetting it completely which is undocumented and took me ages to work out.

With faults introduced by updates, were more customers to return the devices to the retailer or operator and have them fix it or work with Samsung to roll back and fix the version, or ultimately have to provide a replacement or refund, we wouldn't see so many cases like this. Manufacturers would test the updates properly knowing it will cost them many £s if they do not. They would struggle to get operators to carry their models.

At least, that's a path you can pursue in the UK, other countries may differ, but here a software fault pushed by an update which causes a fault, is a fault with the device like any other covered by the Sale of Goods Act.

The cynical would say that manufacturers deliberately knacker the phones once a newer version comes out. However as you say, the notion that the customer will necessarily go and buy a new Samsung to replace the one broken by Samsung seems a touch unlikely.

Others might simply say that Samsung don't care much about the S8 any more, why would they, and the updates simply do not get the proper testing. Their focus is on making sure newer models work properly for maybe a year to two years at most, that being the length of most people's contracts.
    04-29-2019 07:29 AM
    You could always downgrade to Oreo. takes no time at all. instructions are on YouTube.
    05-06-2019 12:25 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Have you already tried wiping the cache partition? This can sometimes help with issues after a major system update: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-34311

Also remember that major system updates will often add or modify certain system settings (or even add some preinstalled apps), so it's worth going through all of your system settings to see if anything's new.
    05-06-2019 01:05 PM
    My S8+ is getting the best battery life I've ever had since upgrading to Pie. This is with a 2 year old battery as well.
    05-08-2019 02:49 PM
    I didn't get pie pushed to my S8 Plus, I am still on Oreo.
    05-11-2019 11:14 PM