Incorrect contact names showing in Message app S8

hossco

Apr 3, 2019
Visit site
I have a problem where I receive an SMS from one of my contacts, but when I go to Messages, instead of the message being in the contact's name, it shows a combination of different phone numbers (which are not the contacts).

I can't reply to the message, there is no option to. I see the conversation, and from that I can work out who it is, but to reply I have to create a new message in the contact's real name. So I end up with two separate conversations with the same contact in my messages.

Further, one of my friend's numbers shows in messages as an email address from a different person. Also, when I try to start a new conversation with a couple of certain friends, I am unable to select them and the app shuts down. I have to go to the most recent conversation with them to get an SMS to them.

This has been happening since I had the S6 and migrated everything over to S8, but has seemed to get worse lately. I suspect it has something to do with Google contacts mixing with phone contacts but cannot work it out.

Any help here is much appreciated, this has been doing my head in!