How's the pie update???

punk999

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering if I should download the pie update or not, how's the battery and performance? also I heard that the fast charging was having trouble after pie update is it true.

ATreat

Mar 3, 2019
Visit site
Punk99, if you are talking S8+, I don't know where to begin. My S8+ was 2 years old when I read about Pie, kinda casually I must admit, and fell for the hype. I have regretted updating my phone from minute one.

This phone at 2 years old was going great, and I was thinking, hoping, and likely gonna make it another year without upgrading. It was dialed in, battery lasted 90-100% of my workday, and my phone knew me, knew me well.

Things I noticed right away (and I'm not a phone geek or freak, so I'll not be using correct terms when describing some things): the icons on my homescreen (phone, messages, and the other ones that are standard Android/Samsung look, became.... unrecognizable, cartoonish, fuzzy, iphonish crap. I seriously still have to take extra moments when looking for Messages when choosing how to share something, many weeks later.

2. Battery tanks regularly at around just after lunch. I am admittedly a heavy user, requiring my screen be bright, on and off of wifi, but mostly for CRM, email, and reading from the web. A dozen or so pics every day. But just a lot of hours daily. It lost about 40%, usually needing charging with a couple hours left in my work day.

My phone doesn't know me anymore and it's taking it's sweet time, and might not be at all with some apps, learning how to be predictive, or even recognizing the two people I send texts to the most.

I'm failing to describe properly what my phone used to do and what it does our doesn't do now because using it now is as exhausting to me as it is to the battery. But I sometimes just want to throw it on the ground, and all because of Pie.
Others on this forum will concur. Hope it's not too late for you.
Oh! One last thing I can describe better: tap the screen rapidly three times, in most any app, and the display will zoom way in. It's especially STUPID for this to happen when using calculator.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
This is a list I've compiled from different forums:

Call recording is gone
Some camera modes are gone like Sport shot and dual camera mode. There are some others I can't remember
Video button is no longer in camera. You have to press "video" and then start recording. (It's an extra step)
Notifications via bluetooth don't make any sounds if connected in the car. (I heard about this but haven't had the time to try and test myself)
Cannot change backgrounds in samsung messages.
Multi window is still there but the process to set up has changed.
Recent apps window changed but you can use Good Lock to change it back.

There may be a few others that I left out but that's all I can remember right now.

My wife has the S8+ and I have the Note 8 and both are on Pie/One UI. We both have had no issues but the list above is from other users.

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
This is a list I've compiled from different forums:

Call recording is gone
Some camera modes are gone like Sport shot and dual camera mode. There are some others I can't remember
Video button is no longer in camera. You have to press "video" and then start recording. (It's an extra step)
Notifications via bluetooth don't make any sounds if connected in the car. (I heard about this but haven't had the time to try and test myself)
Cannot change backgrounds in samsung messages.
Multi window is still there but the process to set up has changed.
Recent apps window changed but you can use Good Lock to change it back.

There may be a few others that I left out but that's all I can remember right now.

My wife has the S8+ and I have the Note 8 and both are on Pie/One UI. We both have had no issues but the list above is from other users.

Can confirm this issue with android auto. It's a PIE issue that is supposedly being worked on. If you have Tasker, a user posted a workaround for getting text notifications using a Tasker profile. Seems to work okay for me as well

https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/3387506?msgid=6923162

punk999

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies and no I haven't updated my phone yet, some weird thing has been happening to my phone suddenly, my phone battery starts draining rapidly after 30% and it shuts down within 10 mins ,I have a feeling this could be a way samsung is trying to force people to update, but the update itself has too many issues of it's own so I'm kinda stuck now.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies and no I haven't updated my phone yet, some weird thing has been happening to my phone suddenly, my phone battery starts draining rapidly after 30% and it shuts down within 10 mins ,I have a feeling this could be a way samsung is trying to force people to update, but the update itself has too many issues of it's own so I'm kinda stuck now.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge/872623-battery-drops-35-0-instantly.html

Good info in the thread above about battery dropping quickly

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
So my S8+ (unlocked) right out of the box will have what...7.0?

Will it offer me an "option" to update...or will it happen automatically and be mandatory? Thanks!

mark7914

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
Ask yourself what you want from the update. Familiarise yourself with the new features and see if any are essential to you.

Have a look through the forum threads on here for the experiences people have had with the Pie version.

Realise that in practical terms, once you install it, there's no going back. Without an awful lot of work which may or may not succeed.

And then ask yourself why you'd install it :)

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I updated and have no issues. Of course I did this once I pulled it out of the box, after setting it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz