Buying a new phone with VZW...problems...

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
Hello everyone! In my area, VZW is the carrier of choice (I am in NNJ). ATT seems to have dead spots, occasional issues, poor reception in mountainous areas (and I do live very near some mountains), etc. So, I've been with VZW for 30 years, and yes, I am a creature of habit as well, LOL. I originally was going to jump ship, go through the trauma, LOL, and go to ATT just so I could get the BlackBerry Key2. Why you may ask? LOL. I need a physical keyboard to type on, due to a medical condition. My fingers don't always work well, and a PKB is necessary for me to do emails, texts, etc.

I changed my mind and decided to -- stay with VZW, get a Samsung S8+ (there is a keyboard case/cover which has a PKB), and stay with the devil I know. LOL.

Questions -- how good a job is VZW doing supporting the Android phones? Should I buy unlocked and go with BYOD, or should I buy from VZW, get the bloatware (if there is any), but also get the technical support and help?

Also, does anyone know -- is the Samsung S8+ still being supported? By Samsung? By VZW? Is this an antiquated device?

Thank you in advance.

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
Buying a new S8+ (VZW)...is this a bad idea?

Hello everyone! I'm in NNJ and VZW is the carrier of choice for the most part. I am certainly not happy with their customer service or tech support, but that's a discussion for another time, LOL. I've been with VZW for 30 years, and yes, I am a creature of habit, LOL. I decided to jump ship, go through the trauma, LOL, and go to ATT just so I could get the BlackBerry Key2. Why you may ask? LOL. I need a physical keyboard to type on, due to a medical condition. My fingers don't always work well, and a PKB is necessary for me to do emails, texts, etc.

Anyway, I've changed my mind and decided to -- 1) stay with VZW, 2) get a Samsung S8+ (there is a keyboard case/cover which has a PKB)...and simply stay with the devil I know. LOL.

So...is this a bad idea? Is this device antiquated? Is it still being supported? By Samsung? By VZW? Are they still sending out updates to the OS? Security patches? Other updates?

I still don't know if I should even buy this device, but I am limited as I need a PKB (the S8+ is the last Galaxy where Samsung made this PKB/keyboard case/cover).

Also, if buying this device isn't a bad idea...should I buy unlocked and go with BYOD, or should I buy from VZW, get the bloatware (if there is any), but also get the technical support and help?

Thank you in advance.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Buying a new S8+ (VZW)...is this a bad idea?

It was released a little over two years ago (April 2017) do don't expect updates or security patches. But I'd buy the G950U (the unlocked version). rather than the G950V (which is locked to Verizon and has fewer radio band). (For instance, if you should ever decide to go to AT&T [or any of their MVNOs], you might have a problem.) Otherwise, they're the same phone. (An "unlocked Verizon phone is still a G950V - they don't add radio bands when they unlock it.)

(And no need to post the same thing twice.)

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
Thank you! So, buy the unlocked version...got it. If I buy directly from Samsung, I'm guessing it comes with a warranty. Same thing if I buy it from say Best Buy, as I am sure there is some manufacturer warranty and perhaps something from Best Buy (even if they charge for it). But, what about tech support? Am I better off going with Best Buy?

As far as the U vs. V...so the G950U unlocked...will that work fine with VZW? I am guessing the "CDMA" thing doesn't apply here (as opposed to GSM)?

Thanks again.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I personally own all three KEY devices as well as an S8 with the keyboard cover, and as far as the keyboard goes, the Samsung isn't even close.
It is much nicer than typing on glass though, but not at night since there's no backlighting.

However, you do get the bigger AMOLED display.

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
I personally own all three KEY devices as well as an S8 with the keyboard cover, and as far as the keyboard goes, the Samsung isn't even close.
It is much nicer than typing on glass though, but not at night since there's no backlighting.

Thank you...very much!!! I wish I could go with a Key2 -- with VZW -- but, one, my corporate office is no longer "supporting" any BlackBerry devices. And, two, I've heard that the Key2 doesn't fully function with VZW. While I am not sure why, I don't want to have any problems with the corporate office, and end up with an expensive phone that doesn't fully function.

While I feel handcuffed into getting a S8+ (with the keyboard cover), I am not thrilled about it. But, so be it. I don't really see a better option for a phone and something with a keyboard option...unless I wanted to go with an iPhone, which I don't want to do. It's not easy to find a new S8+ from a legit retailer (like Best Buy), and VZW doesn't sell them any longer, so even there my choices are limited.

Thanks again.

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site

And...the lack of backlighting on the keyboard cover bothers me a great deal. Uggh.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Thank you...very much!!! I wish I could go with a Key2 -- with VZW -- but, one, my corporate office is no longer "supporting" any BlackBerry devices. And, two, I've heard that the Key2 doesn't fully function with VZW. While I am not sure why, I don't want to have any problems with the corporate office, and end up with an expensive phone that doesn't fully function.

While I feel handcuffed into getting a S8+ (with the keyboard cover), I am not thrilled about it. But, so be it. I don't really see a better option for a phone and something with a keyboard option...unless I wanted to go with an iPhone, which I don't want to do. It's not easy to find a new S8+ from a legit retailer (like Best Buy), and VZW doesn't sell them any longer, so even there my choices are limited.

Thanks again.
First of all, the only way you could get a keyboard on an iPhone right now is going to the small SE model as the only Typo keyboard cases that can be found at this time are the ones for that model.

Second, I used an SE with the Typo case for a bit and it was "meh".

I honestly recommend you get a KEY2 LE as it's cheaper than the KEY2 and the LE is officially supported by Verizon and is even sold by them if you have a business account.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you're concerned with OS updates for Android, I highly recommend getting a Pixel.