I know this is most probably going to be a foolish question, and my request will be deemed as "unnecessary" by most Galaxy users...but here is my request...I am technologically handicapped. Plain and simple. I am just not adept, well-versed, and comfortable around technology.

I am waiting for a brand-new, unlocked, fresh out of the box, BYOD, Samsung Galaxy S8+ (the 955U version), which I bought from -- OK, don't laugh -- Walmart.com (they had a very competitive price, with a credit, coupon I had, the most favorable return policy, etc.). So, Walmart is not an option for tech support. Nor will my carrier be.

Foolish question time -- is there tech support out there which I can pay for? This is what I do with my laptop/tablet. I have a IT tech company which bills me $50 an hour for basic tech support. They remote into my machine, show me how to do this and that, fix something if need be, run some clean up and maintenance stuff, and so on. It works for me.

Anything like that in the smartphone world? I have a bunch of basic things I need to do -- help setting up my phone, figuring out which number I should assign to the device and which number I should port over via Google voice, getting my contacts synced, arranging for back ups, etc.
    07-02-2019 11:04 AM
    Also...most important...thank you in advance.
    07-02-2019 12:06 PM
    07-02-2019 04:41 PM
    Thanks...so a friend of mine recommended them and said a mutual friend used them for his smartphone. I called the mutual friend, and he wasn't happy with their service. He said he dealt with two tech people and both times they either read from the manual or googled different phrases, questions, etc. In short, he said the tech people were not "Android users" or even remotely an Android expert. One tech people even made a joke and said "Gee, my iPhone doesn't work that way, and I pretty much only know iPhones." I'd consider giving them a shot, because I have no other options, but I am cautiously optimistic.

I've googled around but haven't found anything.

Anything else anyone? Thanks again.
    07-02-2019 05:44 PM
    Samsung Remote Service? samsung.com/us/support/remoteservice/
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    07-02-2019 05:47 PM
    That looks like it could work! I wonder if they charge on a per call/per issue basis.

One thing I always liked was when my home office IT people used to "remote into" my phone using TeamViewer Quick Support. It made tech support so much easier when the technician and I were looking at the same thing, he saw what I saw when I moved from screen to screen, etc. That is part of the reason I was looking for an outside tech support resource -- something that I could pay for, and who would work with me, educate me, show me how to do things, etc.

Thanks again.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-02-2019 10:26 PM
    Check with your carrier for some initial setup help. For example, I think Verizon has a setup service that helps get you up to speed for an extra charge.

Once that's done, phones are almost maintenance free and 99% of the problems most users run into are solved with basic solutions. So before you spend money on a paid service, give places like us a shot and see if we can help. We can't do remote access through the site, but we do our best to make answers understandable enough to walk you through what's needed.

I will caution you, though, about cleaning apps (Which I'm sure you'll find at some point along your journey for a cleanup solution). Android doesn't run like Windows, and keeping RAM full is a good thing. I won't go into the nitty gritty unless you want me to, but just understand that it's designed to keep RAM filled for better power management and battery efficiency. Most cleaning apps have what's known as RAM boosters, or memory optimizers. These apps will automatically kill background processes to free up RAM, with the claim of speeding up your phone and saving your battery. Long story short, they fight against the OS and do the exact opposite of what they claim. Other features they often have are rarely needed, and your phone would have those functions built in anyway. There's also companies, like Cheetah Mobile, that use theses apps and deceptive marketing to data mine and sell your info on the dark web.
    07-03-2019 12:23 AM
    I have GEEK SQUAD. For same yearly subscription they cover any 3 devices, including cell phones. They use remote access the same as w computer and are available for questions, suggestions and recommendations. I have had no complaints, once in a while, like any other support, you have to try another person to get the right answer. Usually, if out of that techs scope, they will escalate you up the ladder.
    Also, I have Microsoft word on cell and they have helped me out.
    You can check your local tech/repair shop. They frequently have their own techie who knows his stuff and will help you out for the fun of it.
    Also, your phone has it's own tutorial built in..scroll down under the cog wheel (settings) and there's always utube.
    Tech Idiot and B. Diddy like this.
    07-03-2019 11:30 AM
    Thanks...I am going to check all options! Thank you all -- very much!!!
    07-03-2019 12:14 PM