I have two phones...and two numbers...BUT...

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
I have two phones, and obviously two cell phone numbers. Both with VZW. First, I have a smartphone -- which I use for everything EXCEPT phone calls. I get my emails, keep my contacts, my calendar, and I TEXT FROM THIS SMARTPHONE. I call this my text phone/number. However, I don't use this smartphone for calls. I have a second phone, not a smartphone, a basic, but new, "flip-phone" -- and the ONLY THING I USE THIS PHONE FOR IS CALLING and voicemail. I call this my "call number/phone". Long story, and I am sorry I ever did it. However, it is what it is.

Now I am moving to a Galaxy S8+ (unlocked, BYOD) and I plan on registering the phone with VZW. However, I would like to set up my new Galaxy where I can "have both numbers on" the one device. So, you call my "call" number and the Galaxy rings, I take the call and all is fine. But also, I want to be able to have someone text my "text number" -- and I would like the text to come through so I receive it -- also on the Galaxy.

I am told this can be done -- somehow -- with Google Voice. Is this true? Is there anyone here who really understands the Google Voice application and knows how to set it up properly to do what I want it to do? I have no problem paying someone for their time if they can walk me through this to completion. Please understand, I am not lazy...I am just technologically handicapped! LOL. Thank you in advance.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
This isn't really a device-specific question, this is more of a general help & how-to question.

So... Google Voice is a great solution to this kind of issue. My suggestion would be to keep the calling number as the primary number, things wil work best this way. Then, port the texting number to Google Voice (if you can). You would then use the Google Voice app, or Google Hangouts, to manage your SMS/text conversations.

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
This isn't really a device-specific question, this is more of a general help & how-to question.

So... Google Voice is a great solution to this kind of issue. My suggestion would be to keep the calling number as the primary number, things wil work best this way. Then, port the texting number to Google Voice (if you can). You would then use the Google Voice app, or Google Hangouts, to manage your SMS/text conversations.

Thanks hallux!!! So I can keep both numbers I currently have? So let's say somehow I set this up -- here are my questions:

1) People will call my (call) number that ends in 77 and my Galaxy will ring? And when I call out from my 77 number on my Galaxy the person I am calling will see the 77 number on their caller ID?

2) People will text my (text) number that ends in 86 -- and the text will come through my Galaxy? And I can reply to their texts using the Galaxy and will people will receive my texts from the 86 number?

A few people are telling me no, that this only works with a "new" number you get from Google Voice. I don't really understand what they are saying, but I am hearing a no. So if they are wrong...how can I find someone to set this up for me? Is there a tech company that does this kind of thing? Thanks so much hallux!!!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
1) People will call my (call) number that ends in 77 and my Galaxy will ring? And when I call out from my 77 number on my Galaxy the person I am calling will see the 77 number on their caller ID?

Correct, using the phone app that comes pre-installed on the device. Because of the complexity involved in dialing out when using Google Voice for your calling number I suggest using your calling number as the direct number for the phone.

2) People will text my (text) number that ends in 86 -- and the text will come through my Galaxy? And I can reply to their texts using the Galaxy and will people will receive my texts from the 86 number?

Correct, using the Google Voice or Google Hangouts apps that you need to install from the Play Store.

A few people are telling me no, that this only works with a "new" number you get from Google Voice.

I'm not sure what they're referencing. There have been SOME instances of people having difficulty with numbers ported into the service, I would say the success rate is probably higher than the failure rate though. I should note that there MAY be a fee to port your phone number into Google Voice. Here's the help article on the port in - https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
Great!!! Thanks hallux!!! Thank you very much!!! Yes, there is a $20 fee -- and to me that's a bargain if it works correctly! LOL. Thank you, thank you, thank you...so very much!!!

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
Got the new phone...all fired up and ready to go...so...this might be a stupid question...but that happens when you are technologically handicapped, LOL...

When you place a call through Google voice (and the number has been ported to Google voice from let's say Verizon...is that call going through: a) Wifi...b) cellular minutes...c) data

Same with a text...you text from or to a number that's been ported to Google voice...are you using:
a)WiFi
b) cellular minutes (or texts against the plan from the carrier)
c) data

Thank you!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance