Galaxy s8 purchased new 19 months ago. Always well cared for in protective case, no spills, drops or exposures. Suddenly, case is separating starting at lower left corner extending up left side and getting hot. Called Samsung and of course they denied saying, "That only happened w s7. Anyway, it's out of warranty." In other words, "Tough". (Coincidentally, not long after PIE update?) Told I could take it to Samsung and pay to have it fixed. Last time I did that with an s5, I was told the port was bad had to buy a new phone..I bought a new cable and problem solved.
    Anyone else having bad battery problem with s8 series?
    Paid with Chase Visa that doubles warranties..I'll see how that goes.
    07-03-2019 11:23 AM
    Galaxy s8 purchased new 19 months ago. Always well cared for in protective case, no spills, drops or exposures. Suddenly, case is separating starting at lower left corner extending up left side and getting hot. Called Samsung and of course they denied saying, "That only happened w s7. Anyway, it's out of warranty." In other words, "Tough". (Coincidentally, not long after PIE update?) Told I could take it to Samsung and pay to have it fixed. Last time I did that with an s5, I was told the port was bad had to buy a new phone..I bought a new cable and problem solved.
    Mine went about a month ago , haven't replace it yet

Edit: weird enough battery went after pie update also
    07-03-2019 11:26 AM
    Samsung certified repair agent confirm battery defective, swelling and splitting case of Galaxy s8. certified not caused by damages, misuse or mishandling.
    paid for repairs and replacement parts myself. Keypad still with action and response issues especially on side opened by battery.
    Samsung response so far only appears to be concerned with liability if it had exploded or caught fire.
    will update..if there is one
    07-05-2019 06:47 PM
    Samsung certified repair agent confirm battery defective, swelling and splitting case of Galaxy s8. certified not caused by damages, misuse or mishandling.
    paid for repairs and replacement parts myself. Keypad still with action and response issues especially on side opened by battery.
    Samsung response so far only appears to be concerned with liability if it had exploded or caught fire.
    will update..if there is one
    What they charge you to fix it ? Did you use ifixit?
    07-05-2019 06:52 PM
    I did post a reply as well as pictures..dont know why it isnt here.
    The cost for new battery, back and screen was about 238 w tax. However, the keypad misfunction remains a big issue. Also, after taking 6 pictures the phone got very hot. Samsung has remained in touch and has advised me to take the phone back to uBreakiFix for evaluation. There is a post today about keypad problem and case cracking.
    Will update
    mustang7757 likes this.
    07-12-2019 07:07 PM
    I did post a reply as well as pictures..dont know why it isnt here.
    The cost for new battery, back and screen was about 238 w tax. However, the keypad misfunction remains a big issue. Also, after taking 6 pictures the phone got very hot. Samsung has remained in touch and has advised me to take the phone back to uBreakiFix for evaluation. There is a post today about keypad problem and case cracking.
    Will update
    Thanks for the update.
    07-12-2019 07:21 PM
    minor update: again trouble unlocking phone and dismissing an alarm. Had to turn off phone and restart then removed smart lock. Samsung has advised clearing the system partition cache to see is it helps..DONE. will let you know.
    NEXT STEP would be full analysis..then full restart..then..
    mustang7757 likes this.
    07-16-2019 06:50 PM
    minor update: again trouble unlocking phone and dismissing an alarm. Had to turn off phone and restart then removed smart lock. Samsung has advised clearing the system partition cache to see is it helps..DONE. will let you know.
    NEXT STEP would be full analysis..then full restart..then..
    Ok , hope it works out
    07-16-2019 07:11 PM
    Samsung doesn't care? Mine started blowing up today.
    Luckily it is a work phone and they will take care of repairing/replacing it.
    But I am on a iphone7 til replacement comes. BooGalaxy s8 battery swelling-img_20190719_180648.jpeg
    07-19-2019 08:12 PM
    Samsung doesn't care? Mine started blowing up today.
    Luckily it is a work phone and they will take care of repairing/replacing it.
    But I am on a iphone7 til replacement comes. BooClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190719_180648.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	305611
    At least you don't pay out the pocket .
    07-19-2019 11:31 PM
    Please don't mess with a swelling battery or delay getting it repaired. These lithium batteries are a fire hazard when outside of their case or anything abnormal (which is why you are seeing batteries not allowed in airline luggage or cargo, etc).

I'd get this done quickly before you risk a phone fire or an injury to yourself.
    07-20-2019 08:05 AM
    I also had same problem with s8+, back forced off of body by swelling battery. I live in Spain, but bought my phone 22 months ago online from UK. Samsung repair said the phone is an Malaysian Phone sold in UK and they cannot touch any phone that was not a European phone. Lesson learned, be sure to check on source of any phone purchased online. You do not have a worldwide warranty if puchased in another part of world and needs to be repaired in another part. Had Samsung battery (OEM) replaced with new seal by a independent phone repair place. Good job, but 70 euros was steep. Was worth it because the phone is perfect without this problem.
    07-22-2019 10:11 AM
    Go on Twitter..search samsung complaints (possibly add battery in search) look for my post or post your own. I use my name.
    I got nothing from blow off from Samsung until I posted there. I got an immediate reply and now they are still following by email.
    They need to know that this is happening.
    Also, anyone else that is having a similar problem should immediately report and cease use. Mine happened quickly and first sign was a keypad problem. It looks like now the s8 is getting older that it is showing up.
    07-28-2019 02:04 AM
    So the whole battery thing I am pretty sure has a defect due to the pie update. Only assuming this because I actually had to replace a screen a month before the pie update was available. Then cracked my screen again a week after pie was installed. I noticed my battery getting hot while charging like super hot. But never thought anything of it I figured maybe I use it too much when charging. But this second time when I fixed my screen the tech said he would reopen it up and replace the battery for me and redo the cooling pad or thermal paste. I was like cool cause it gets hot lately I dont know why maybe from me dropping it?

Now that I think about it I am sure the tech knew something because he is contract working with all phone and my carrier thank God I have insurance only 40 bucks to replace a screen and stuff if issues vs the hassle of looking for it myself and doing that job also.

But the whole quick mentioning of him needing to open the whole thing and repair the screen is understandable but free battery swap and aste work with new back piece? It's like a new phone now. It does make me really sure they sent a warning out and people who know things or work somewhere cant say crap because they dont want bad PR?

Sometimes I unplug and accidentally touch the port area it would burn my finger or close to it. Reminds me of my note 2 back then when I use to charge it and then battery got super hot.
    07-30-2019 03:37 AM
    You have described exactly what has happened to mine. About two weeks ago. Update was 23rd July. I will take it to a phone shop and get it repaired. Hope it isn’t too costly. I am though worried about battery catching fire
    08-06-2019 12:26 PM
    I have noticed in the past couple of weeks -- since the latest Verizon update was pushed to my phone -- that sometimes my phone now gets hot. Around 100 to 105 degrees (Ampere app). I have had it almost two years, and it didn't used to do that. I haven't installed any new apps nor do I use my phone differently. If I close all the apps, it cools down.

I did replace the battery at an authorized repair center a few months back -- it wasn't problematic, I just replaced it so it would last longer.

It appears that these things are engineered/built to last about 2 years (Galaxy S8)...Just an observation...

I will just keep an eye on it...
    08-11-2019 11:45 AM
    I have an S8 that I purchased new and used for only a week because the screen was damaged and I chose not to repair it. It has been sitting on My desk for the past two years. I booted it up a few times over the years to access the information and pictures that are still on it.

This morning I took it up and realized the back was almost completely separated. Only the bottom section was still completely attached.

On opening it a few minutes ago I realized it was forced open by a swollen battery. However the physical battery was not swollen. Instead the plastic covering of the battery was filled with air like a balloon. Somehow the battery is releasing some type of gas that gets trapped in the plastic covering.

Maybe I should not have done it but I pricked the plastic with a pin and released the gas. It smelled like thinner or glue. Now the battery is back to its normal size.
    08-18-2019 12:03 PM
    I have the same issue. Have had three Samsung S8+ in a row. Sprint replaced the first two. The second one actually burned me when I answered a call. They then sent me a brand new phone. I have had it for about 13 months. It has never been dropped or out of its Otterbox Defender case. However, it does overheat and I have screen burn in as well. Recently my Zagg glass shield popped off, although it did not break. Zagg said to send it back and they replaced it.

Meanwhile I noticed that the buttons on the left side of the phone were not working properly. In order to apply the new Zagg shield, I started to remove the Otterbox and then saw that the whole left side of the phone as well as the bottom was separating from the back.

They indeed have an issue with these phones. As a result, I will likely now abandon Android and Samsung and move to an iPhone. However, this was not an inexpensive phone and I really like to keep my phones. I cannot locate the Twitter you mention above.Galaxy s8 battery swelling-img_37051.jpgGalaxy s8 battery swelling-img_37041.jpg
    09-04-2019 09:39 PM
    I have a similar issue. Although I did drop my S8. After that, the battery swelled up. I had both the battery and the back glass replaced. Now, approx 5 months after battery replacement, I just noticed the new battery is swelling as well. The phone also gets extremely hot on the right side while in use. I'm sure the drop could have damaged something, but thought I'd throw my experience in as well.
    09-09-2019 03:13 PM
    Wow, didn't know this was happening.
    09-10-2019 11:42 PM
    I have an 18 month old S8 where the battery capacity is only about 80% of factory specification and that drop is really noticeable to the point where I'm going to have to pay £74 to get a new battery put into it.

Forcing that "repair" under the Sale of Goods Act in the UK (merchantable quality) free of charge wouldn't be straightforward.

I'm holding off to see if the battery in this one is going to try to escape from the casing meaning I won't have to pay for the replacement.

Theories about this "exploding battery" problem seem to link back to the 'Pie' update. My S8 has never had any updates, and still runs Android 7 (my choice, deliberately) and rarely gets noticeably hot so there might be something to this theory.
    09-16-2019 03:05 AM