AT&T Galaxy S8 Water ingress through SD/SIM card slot

Marcenzeichen

Jul 22, 2019
Visit site
After I used my S8 for about half an hour in the pool (first photos over water, then in the pants pocket of the swimsuit and a few videos under water) I saw something about an two hours later water droplets in the front camera and the brightness sensor and turned it off. I had previously heard podcast and wondered about the warming and the low battery level and then about the water in the S8.
That was 3.5 days ago. After opening, I have also seen a drop on the SD card and that their red color from the Samsung logo has rubbed off slightly on the cards carrier.
After 1.5 days in rice I wanted to start it, but the battery was too weak, it had discharged before switching off even up to 6%, which I had not noticed by then. So I connected the S8 to the original charger with an intermediate current meter. It started charging with 5V, then briefly with 9V (I think I had the fast charge active, because after the photosession in the pool the battery was weak as well and I originally wanted to make photos again in the evening. But as I had problems getting the loading socket dry and the prompt for it away, I only had little time to charge it before the hotels evening program started) and then again with 5V. However, the display was only briefly on and then off again. Since then, the S8 is back in the bag of rice. As I had no idea, how to turn the S8 without a display and the only possible aswer in a forum was unreachable, because Tap-a-talk stealed the link and crashed every time, I called Samsung support for assistance. As instructed by the Samsung Hotline, I had to wait until the battery was empty again.
In the meantime, the S8 was sending many notifications to my Huawei Watch 2 and if the screen hadn't been off all the time, I would have been lucky.
Questions:
- Can I connect the S8 when I am back from vacation to the PC to copy the data from the internal memory or can the Samsung repair service do that (better)?
- Should I leave the phone off or can it not break any more, if I try again?
- Does it help with negative pressure when drying completely? So should I take the S8 with me in my hand luggage or drop off luggage on the plane back home?

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I think this is a good lesson for others. Phones aren't waterproof. They can be water resistant, but not waterproof. I look at the water ratings as saying you are probably safe if you accidentally drop your phone in water or get caught in a rain storm. But deliberately submerging your phone is never a good idea.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think this is a good lesson for others. Phones aren't waterproof. They can be water resistant, but not waterproof. I look at the water ratings as saying you are probably safe if you accidentally drop your phone in water or get caught in a rain storm. But deliberately submerging your phone is never a good idea.

Indeed! If you read the manual carefully, there's usually a disclaimer somewhere that the IP rating is not a guarantee​, and water damage is never covered by warranty.