Sprint Galaxy S8 S8+, MMS messages stopped working over WIFI

Wolvan

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I use Google Messenger for the ability to do group MMS messages with some buddies. Up until about 2 weeks ago zero issues.

All the sudden, can't send or receive group MMS messages while on WIFI. Still works fine on LTE. I tried swapping back over to the default samsung messenger app, still wouldn't work. Swapped back to google messenger.

If I'm on wifi, I will get individual messages from the senders with a "tap to download" button but it won't work. If I try to send, it just fails to send.

Swap to LTE, sending works fine. I have to then go and tap and download the individual messages and it puts them back into the group text. If I'm on LTE, it works fine and all group MMS messages just go on the shared group text.

Done some googling and troubleshooting, but can't figure it out. I haven't changed anything on my phone. Last update (Security patch) was on Aug 1st and it still worked fine after that for at least a week.

I of course like to be on wifi at home for faster speeds and better battery life.

Help please!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Is this only on your home wifi ?
I use Google Messenger for the ability to do group MMS messages with some buddies. Up until about 2 weeks ago zero issues.

All the sudden, can't send or receive group MMS messages while on WIFI. Still works fine on LTE. I tried swapping back over to the default samsung messenger app, still wouldn't work. Swapped back to google messenger.

If I'm on wifi, I will get individual messages from the senders with a "tap to download" button but it won't work. If I try to send, it just fails to send.

Swap to LTE, sending works fine. I have to then go and tap and download the individual messages and it puts them back into the group text. If I'm on LTE, it works fine and all group MMS messages just go on the shared group text.

Done some googling and troubleshooting, but can't figure it out. I haven't changed anything on my phone. Last update (Security patch) was on Aug 1st and it still worked fine after that for at least a week.

I of course like to be on wifi at home for faster speeds and better battery life.

Help please!

mark7914

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
We used to have something like this when we had Apple phones and had Apple's servers blocked on the home network via a rule on the router.

That was set up to prevent the download of updates but also had the effect of blocking messaging over WiFi since the phones could no longer "talk to Apple" and vice versa.

Have you or anyone else ever added any rules to your router to stop communication with anything in particular?

Wolvan

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I run the home router, I have changed nothing myself. I haven't checked on other wifi's besides my home (Comcast) but I will try to get on one somewhere and test it out. I should have thought of that myself!