Samsung s8 calendar deleting old events

Owii88

Aug 25, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I tried to go back to May 2018 on my S8 calendar (to remember the names of cafes etc. I visited on holiday) and discovered it only has events from July 2018 onwards.

I've been putting events etc in the calendar since 2017 when I got the phone and I don't have any other calendar app installed or synced.

I've tried the settings to see if it has an automatic deletion setting but can't find anything. Is there any way to retrieve these?

Edit: this is the S8 calendar, not google. I don't even have the google calendar app

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are these events saved to your Google Calendar account or the Samsung (or Phone) account? If it's the Google account, calendar apps typically only sync back around a year or so (although I think it has to do with the number of events synced, not the time period). Do the events still show up on Google Calendar on your desktop browser (again, assuming you're talking about Google Calendar events)?

Owii88

Aug 25, 2019
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are these events saved to your Google Calendar account or the Samsung (or Phone) account? If it's the Google account, calendar apps typically only sync back around a year or so (although I think it has to do with the number of events synced, not the time period). Do the events still show up on Google Calendar on your desktop browser (again, assuming you're talking about Google Calendar events)?

I don't have the Google calendar installed, just s8 calendar

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Right, but what I'm asking is if these events are saved to your Google Calendar account in the cloud, or to your Samsung or Phone account? If they're saved to your Google account, then do you see the older events in your Google Calendar web interface on your desktop browser?

Owii88

Aug 25, 2019
Visit site
Right, but what I'm asking is if these events are saved to your Google Calendar account in the cloud, or to your Samsung or Phone account? If they're saved to your Google account, then do you see the older events in your Google Calendar web interface on your desktop browser?

I don't use google calendar at all. I don't want them knowing what I do every day. I am saving the events directly to the calendar app on the phone. No google app or calendar or cloud involved.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ah, I see. I'm afraid I don't know much detail about how the stock Calendar app treats the Phone account calendar events that are saved locally on the phone. Did you ever backup the events anywhere, like to your hard drive?