Why does the "Lock instantly with power key" skip the notification screen?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

When you have the option(which i like to use for obvious security reasons) on the S8+ at least you have to hit the power button 3 times to look at the notification screen(home button just simply cant go there) i would like to know why this happens now, i font know why, it happened seemingly with no reason, there was no update on my phone, my phone is up to date, it just simply started doing this, please help me fix it

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sorry, can you clarify what your question is? Are you saying that when you turn off the screen by pressing the Power button, and then wake the screen (but don't unlock it), you don't see the lockscreen notifications?

Dom Ger

Oct 11, 2019
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sorry, can you clarify what your question is? Are you saying that when you turn off the screen by pressing the Power button, and then wake the screen (but don't unlock it), you don't see the lockscreen notifications?

When i try to turn on the screen but not unlock it the phone automatically goes to the pin screen, doesnt matter if i hit home or power, i want to turn the screen on to look at my notifications, i cant always fiddle with my phone if it isnt something serious, if i turn the setting off then it doesnt do it any more, neither home nor power, i just want it to work like it used to

Dom Ger

Oct 11, 2019
Visit site
Hi, welcome!
I'm saying if you don't set it to immediately lock the home screen can set longer if you choose (default is lock in 5 seconds ) also if you turn AOD off you should get to the lock screen quicker

my issue is im not trying to unlock my phone, i just want to see my notifications without unlocking my phone but it want to unlock any time the screen turns on when that setting is on

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
my issue is im not trying to unlock my phone, i just want to see my notifications without unlocking my phone but it want to unlock any time the screen turns on when that setting is on
You have double tap to wake feature that can do this , do you use AOD ?

Dom Ger

Oct 11, 2019
Visit site
You have double tap to wake feature that can do this , do you use AOD ?

what do you mean by double tap to wake feature? and i do but ive always had that on and it wasnt a problem before, just like it wasnt a problem to lock the screen with the power button before

Dom Ger

Oct 11, 2019
Visit site

okay, while thats cool and all once again i dont think i should have to use that, unless samsung decided to say "the older phones dont get a choice and must mess up this setting" theres no reason why this doesnt work, im just annoyed, honestly im not going to easily change my instinct of "pull phone out turn on" to pull phone out and double tap, im going to try it but that doesnt really fix the problem, never mind, apparently S8+ doesnt have it, at least not in the same place

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
okay, while thats cool and all once again i dont think i should have to use that, unless samsung decided to say "the older phones dont get a choice and must mess up this setting" theres no reason why this doesnt work, im just annoyed, honestly im not going to easily change my instinct of "pull phone out turn on" to pull phone out and double tap, im going to try it but that doesnt really fix the problem, never mind, apparently S8+ doesnt have it, at least not in the same place
You can type in the search bar of settings and find it easier instead of going through menus, if your on andriod 9 (pie) its has some changes then android 8 (oreo) I cant check my s8+ because battery went on it , but my s9+,note9,s10+ and Note 10+ is like this

Dom Ger

Oct 11, 2019
Visit site
You can type in the search bar of settings and find it easier instead of going through menus, if your on andriod 9 (pie) its has some changes then android 8 (oreo) I cant check my s8+ because battery went on it , but my s9+,note9,s10+ and Note 10+ is like this

i just searched double tap, the option isnt there