MMS on WiFi not downloading (AT&T)

stmiranda

May 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the greater Sacramento area and over the past couple of weeks, none of the three GS8's on my account will send or receive MMS msgs when connected to WiFi. Once disconnected everything works.

All three phones and router have been rebooted. My daughter reports this is happening on her companies WiFi as well.

Two of the phones are using Messages from Google app and the other, the stock Samsung app.

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same and might have a fix/suggestion.

Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's probably due to the fact that MMS needs SMS to work, and SMS is phone, not WiFi. (Bring one of the phones into AT&T and see if they're aware of the problem and, if they are, if they're planning on fixing it.)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm in the greater Sacramento area and over the past couple of weeks, none of the three GS8's on my account will send or receive MMS msgs when connected to WiFi. Once disconnected everything works.

All three phones and router have been rebooted. My daughter reports this is happening on her companies WiFi as well.

Two of the phones are using Messages from Google app and the other, the stock Samsung app.

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same and might have a fix/suggestion.

Thanks
Hi, they would need data not WiFi for MMS messages

stmiranda

May 7, 2015
Visit site
When at home we are always connected to WiFi and up until about two weeks ago we could send and receive MMS messages, download sent pictures, etc. Now it requires we disable WiFi.

Thanks for the feedback.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
When at home we are always connected to WiFi and up until about two weeks ago we could send and receive MMS messages, download sent pictures, etc. Now it requires we disable WiFi.

Thanks for the feedback.
It shouldn't require to disable WiFi to do this , makes me think something disables data when this happens.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
As noted, I have three phones doing the same exact thing. So not isolated to just my phone. Don't have access to any other phones. But good thought, thanks.
True you did mention that , maybe stop by the carrier store so they can see the issue

stmiranda

May 7, 2015
Visit site
So, took phone to AT&T repair center and they ran some kind of device test and claim no problems found. And of course they could not explain why MMS messages are not switching to data. And of course the phone would not perform for them. Oh well.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
So, took phone to AT&T repair center and they ran some kind of device test and claim no problems found. And of course they could not explain why MMS messages are not switching to data. And of course the phone would not perform for them. Oh well.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Quick question when this happens is wifi calling on at that moment? Or is it just regular Wifi, did you try testing that.

stmiranda

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Quick question when this happens is wifi calling on at that moment? Or is it just regular Wifi, did you try testing that.

On my phone WiFi calling is enabled. On the other two having the same issue it is not enabled.

All three phones received a software update within the past two days and whatever the problem, it appears to sorted itself out. Time will tell.

Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante