Why is there a bump on my charger?

Ty Paragas

Dec 18, 2018
Visit site
Purchased a Samsung USB-C cable with travel adapter from a Samsung store. A couple of days after buying it, I found multiple bumps on the cable. What is this? Will this bump break my charger?

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Purchased a Samsung USB-C cable with travel adapter from a Samsung store. A couple of days after buying it, I found multiple bumps on the cable. What is this? Will this bump break my charger?
You stated in one of your two other posts, which are Mod-deleted, that this is for an S9+, so I've moved it to the relevant forum.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Can you post photos of the bump? That would help us figure out what may be going on.

In general, if the bumps are new and weren't there when you purchased them, that's not a good thing. If it's on the charger, that could easily be something shorting out and overheating, melting the plastic. If it's the cable (the post title said the charger had bumps, but your actual post says it's the cable, so I'm including both), that could be something kinked, which can lead to broken wires and potential short that can cause damage to the phone and/or other items nearby.

Without seeing an example of the problem, I'm just pointing out a worse case scenario. If the bumps look to be part of the design, then it could also be nothing to worry about.

Ty Paragas

Dec 18, 2018
Visit site
Can you post photos of the bump? That would help us figure out what may be going on.

In general, if the bumps are new and weren't there when you purchased them, that's not a good thing. If it's on the charger, that could easily be something shorting out and overheating, melting the plastic. If it's the cable (the post title said the charger had bumps, but your actual post says it's the cable, so I'm including both), that could be something kinked, which can lead to broken wires and potential short that can cause damage to the phone and/or other items nearby.

Without seeing an example of the problem, I'm just pointing out a worse case scenario. If the bumps look to be part of the design, then it could also be nothing to worry about.

Sorry for the VERY late reply. The bumps are on the cable. I have attached a photo of the bumps. I am worried that it could damage the phone, so I need to find out quickly. It is the only charger in my possession at the moment, so I need this to work. There are more than one of these, but this one seems to be the largest out of the 3 that I've identified.

Attachments

• 15455299960384720081941486449202.jpg
    15455299960384720081941486449202.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 20

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Definitely a sign of bad cable, especially with the black spots (possible signs of shorting between wires). If it's still within the exchange/warranty period, I'd try to take it back to the store. If they won't exchange it, most any USB-C cable should work, as long as the end for the charger matches (either USB-A or -C).

Whatever you do, do not use that cable anymore. It looks to pose a fire hazard, plus potential phone damage. The charger itself is likely ok if you have another cable to use.

Ty Paragas

Dec 18, 2018
Visit site
Definitely a sign of bad cable, especially with the black spots (possible signs of shorting between wires). If it's still within the exchange/warranty period, I'd try to take it back to the store. If they won't exchange it, most any USB-C cable should work, as long as the end for the charger matches (either USB-A or -C).

Whatever you do, do not use that cable anymore. It looks to pose a fire hazard, plus potential phone damage. The charger itself is likely ok if you have another cable to use.

Actually, those are just shadows. But if the bumps are a sign of a bad cable I guess I should try to find another one somewhere else because I have already left the area of the store I had bought it from. Thanks for the help.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Actually, those are just shadows. But if the bumps are a sign of a bad cable I guess I should try to find another one somewhere else because I have already left the area of the store I had bought it from. Thanks for the help.
The good news is that cables are fairly cheap. I always keep a spare or two around because they inevitably do go bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar