S9 Failed update dilemma.

amblyndod1

Jul 5, 2020
Visit site
I keep trying to UPDATE my Sam Gal S9 with a security patch from Nov 2019 but it shuts off and stays off instead of rebooting then says Firmware update failed when I get it back up. Samsung..no help...Best Buy...no help...Verizon...No help. Google and YouTube...no help. Was told needed to be on a strong direct wifi ( as I am using an Xfinity hotspot), even though I've never had a problem with my previous devices. Didn't help when I was directly connected to a residential wifi. Tried to do it through Smart Switch..no go. Tried to do a sideload from the update that I downloaded from Samsung...no go. The only thing I haven't tried is a Factory Reset. Is this a thing someone can help with? I'm not worried about this patch but if I'm going to have this issue with a major update Ima be upset. Thanx in advance.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You will need to be 50%charged , how you tried the side load with SD card? I can show you how to do this through Odin.

amblyndod1

Jul 5, 2020
Visit site
I did try it connected to a friends wifi. Same.

Xfinity highest speed they got and no it didn't time out

Tried this. When going to reboot after wiping the partition it goes off and stays off. Now I have another problem as it reboots to the reboot screen. Good times. I hate this phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like the firmware is corrupt. You'd have to reflash it, as mustang7757 suggested. Alternatively, see if there's a Samsung service center or a Best Buy nearby that can reflash it for you.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Just cause he went to his friends house.

Don't tell me how fast the internet connection was.

Google has a set time to do a download..
If you exceed the time, it kicks you out.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just cause he went to his friends house.

Don't tell me how fast the internet connection was.

Google has a set time to do a download..
If you exceed the time, it kicks you out.

What? Idk what you are saying but that makes no sense. If it is downloading it downloads.. there isn't a "must have (X) Mbps" speed or it doesn't download. All they usually care about is WiFi VS. Cellular....

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I have been doing updates.
It was only on 5 mbps download.., which really it wasn't as 5vmbps it took too long to download a update.
Google timed out and stopped the download.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
How to fix the Google Play Store "download pending" error - Android Authority
https://www.androidauthority.com/play-store-download-pending-error-1004826/

Know with all the Big Boys in here..

They are gonna be asking what..

Take your SD card out.

How to fix the Google Play Store "download pending" error - Android Authority
https://www.androidauthority.com/play-store-download-pending-error-1004826/

The OP is referring to firmware update, not problems with Google

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have been doing updates.
It was only on 5 mbps download.., which really it wasn't as 5vmbps it took too long to download a update.
Google timed out and stopped the download.

Sounds like your internet was just flaky and gave out. There isn't a minimum speed requirement.