File removal question.

ennisdavis23

Jul 11, 2020
Visit site
I have a file that only appears in the download directory when posting to a forum or such. Its in the top download selection menu. I have used search programs like sd maid and it cant find the file. It must be in the emulated directory but not accessible. Dont really want to root the phone. Is there a way or program to access the file.

ennisdavis23

Jul 11, 2020
Visit site
Its a pdf I downloaded a while back. I can only see it when I am uploading or attaching something and then I select "download" from the top of the screen. I cant see it normally in the download directory.

ennisdavis23

Jul 11, 2020
Visit site
Here is the area the the file is located. Can only see it up an upload for posting, cant see it a directory search or file manager. I think sd maid can see hidden files. How do I enable hidden files?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Here is the area the the file is located. Can only see it up an upload for posting, cant see it a directory search or file manager. I think sd maid can see hidden files. How do I enable hidden files?

That isn't necessarily the directory called /Download. Some file manager apps will group multiple directories together into a category, so it's possible that Downloads option you're selecting is actually showing all files downloaded from any app (and some apps will download files to their own specific directory).

Have you already tried searching for that file using a file explorer?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I realize it's a PDF file -- what I'm saying is that if you used some other app to download that PDF file (besides Chrome), the actual download directory it's in might not be the standard /Download directory.

Are you actually still able to share that PDF file when you see it show up? If you get an error, then the file probably is no longer saved anywhere on the phone, and this might be some glitchy remnant data that never got cleared out.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Using Android 10. I have used all types of file managers, cant locate the pdf file. Its not an app, its a pdf I downloaded 2 years ago.
If you cant locate it must have been deleted, 2 years ago long time , some files manager keep for 6 months before deleting.

ennisdavis23

Jul 11, 2020
Visit site
I can still attach the file and send it in an email. If I get to the question to attach, I get the menu on the left and I can see the file. If I use myfiles or a program I get the menu on the right and I cant see the file. Where is this darn file?menu.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Don't select "Downloads." Instead, tap Internal Storage, and see if that allows you to explore the actual directories in the phone. First look in the /Download directory. If the file isn't there, then start looking in other directories or subdirectories (refer to my previous post for my explanation).

You still haven't mentioned which app you used to download this file in the first place -- do you remember?

ennisdavis23

Jul 11, 2020
Visit site
I used chrome browser to download the pdf file. I looked in the downloads in chrome and cant find it either. I use ES and SD main pro and searched all directories, nothing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
/storage/emulated/0 is just another name for the main internal storage. So if you tap Internal Storage, it doesn't let you explore all of the user-accessible directories? The problem with so many stock file manager apps is that they tend to bury this basic function. Try installing Files by Google or Total Commander and use that to explore the internal storage directories. You can also use those apps to search for the file.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech