How can I block calls from everyone except my contacts?

scutfarkus

Sep 24, 2020
Visit site
I've been getting a ton of spam calls from spoofed numbers that just change the last 4 digits so they're always different.

I don't care about calls from anyone except my contacts on this phone. Ideally, I would like to send everyone else to voicemail but just blocking them is fine too.

I enabled "Block unknown callers" in the Phone app but that only seemed to block "Unknown" calls that don't have an associated number or caller ID info.

I enabled Do not disturb and set an exception for my contacts but that only muted the ringtone and notifications. The calls still ring through and pop up on the screen.

Is there a way to completely block these calls either through the settings or a separate app?

Galaxy S9+, Android 10, AT&T

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello and welcome to Android Central. I see this issue often, in fact I kind of deal with it myself in that I get similar calls from my area code with the same first 3 digits. I'm guessing that our phone apps are similar, being only one generation difference, but in my phone app there is also spam protection. You don't mention it although you do mention using Phone app settings. For me it's the second option on my settings page, Caller ID and spam protection. It kind of helps. I feel like I get fewer calls, but my area or my number may be in a down turn.

I was actually thinking DND as I was beginning to read your post. It's not one that I use ever so I really didn't know how it worked. It's a little disappointing to find out that it only silences the device, but I guess that makes sense since it's for movies and meetings and stuff. Some people may actually want to talk to those folks under normal conditions and if you totally never got even the notification of contact that might suck.

There are actually several apps on the Play Store that claim to be able to help with this. Again I don't use anything like that so I really couldn't make any suggestions as to which one(s) are good or bad.

I think B. Diddy or mustang7757 have recommended an app in the past. Maybe we'll get their attention.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You could try something like Truecaller, which is well-known. However, we do see some issues arise on the forums from time to time with this app.

scutfarkus

Sep 24, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! This is very helpful information.

VidJunky mentioned the Caller ID and spam protection feature. I was using the Samsung default Phone app and that option is missing. I looked up a screen shot and I can see where it should be. There aren't any updates available either. Maybe it's because I'm on an older generation device.

I switched to the Google Phone app and now I see Caller ID & spam filter options. I enabled that and tweaked my other settings a bit. Hopefully that will help.

I downloaded Truecaller as well and I'm going to play with that a bit. Thanks for the suggestion. It's worth a try if it might help filter out the junk.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a PC most times so it's more difficult for me to post screenshots. This evening I'm on the device so for anyone finding this thread here is a screenshot of the setting I mentioned. Screenshot_20200926-032255_Call%20settings.jpeg

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I use an app called Should I Answer from the Google Play store. It's a free app but you can make donations. In the app your can go to settings>>blocking>>scroll down to "other blocking rules"....Block INCOMING call when number is........"not stored in contacts".

Now I have not used that option in the settings because I don't want to block my incoming calls and this way I can choose whether I want to block it or not. The call may be from someone that I don't have in my contacts.

Here is the link.....https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mistergroup.shouldianswer

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! This is very helpful information.

VidJunky mentioned the Caller ID and spam protection feature. I was using the Samsung default Phone app and that option is missing. I looked up a screen shot and I can see where it should be. There aren't any updates available either. Maybe it's because I'm on an older generation device.

I switched to the Google Phone app and now I see Caller ID & spam filter options. I enabled that and tweaked my other settings a bit. Hopefully that will help.

I downloaded Truecaller as well and I'm going to play with that a bit. Thanks for the suggestion. It's worth a try if it might help filter out the junk.
I also switched to the new Google dialer, after using Should I Answer with the Samsung dialer on my S9 Plus. So far so good. I uninstalled Should I Answer.
I'm on tmobile, and there call blocking is about 50 a year, which is unnecessary.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Try Youmail. It's a great voicemail app but a fantastic call blocker. You can set it to block calls and play "This number has been disconnected...." as the voicemail greeting. I love this app. There are paid premium features but I don't use them.

Also, does AT&T have a call blocking app/service? I know I have T-Mobile and they have scam shield. But there is a monthly charge for premium services and features.