Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

Hello All,
    I have a Galaxy S9+. My carrier is Page Plus which uses CDMA/Verizon networks. I ordered my SIM card directly from them. I am having a lot of trouble understanding which Mobile Network settings to apply, I can get my 4G/LTE to work (sometimes), but I cannot make phone calls or send/receive text messages. The service seems to be bouncing around with the 4G/LTE available, then not available, searching for service, and I get the messages "Mobile Network Not Available" or "Not Registered on Network" when I try to make phone calls. There have been a few times when I am driving in other areas that I AM able to complete calls, and everything seems to be working correctly, but most times in other locations, I have no service. I have tried researching and researching the web, but I am not finding any solid solutions.

I have spent HOURS on the phone with the carrier, they verified that my SIM card is good, but they are still not able to tell me why I cannot complete calls or send/receive texts. I am beyond frustrated with them, and I am thinking that maybe the solution exists within my Mobile Network Settings??

I don't know if anyone out there is an expert on these settings, but any help with this would truly be appreciated.

This is what I see under my "Mobile Networks" settings...

DATA ROAMING ACCESS... checked on
    VOLTE CALLS... checked on
    NETWORK MODE... set to "LTE/3G/2G (auto connect)"
    SYSTEM SELECT... CDMA roaming mode set to "Automatic"
    ACCESS POINT NAMES... set correctly as per carrier's instructions
    NETWORK OPERATORS... set to "Select Automatically" This is where things seem to keep bouncing around. Sometimes it will say "Home", other times "Searching for Service".

Thank you so much for any help!
    06-23-2021 10:27 AM
    Hi, welcome to AC!

The one thing that stands out is Mobile Network provider , it shouldn't say Home , should say something like automatic
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-23-2021 10:35 AM
    What's the exact model number of your S9+?

Are you certain your APN settings are correct for Page Plus? https://bestmvno.com/apn-settings/pa...-apn-settings/
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-23-2021 11:33 AM
    Roaming is on. Could that be allowing you to bounce around as well?
    06-23-2021 12:05 PM
    Thanks B. Diddy! Mine is SM-G965U

Ironically that's actually the same link I found this morning. I don't understand why there are three sets of suggested settings though. Are we supposed to try them all and determine which set works?
    I've only tried the first set from that link. Doing that immediately brought my 4G LTE back, but it was bouncy and I still have no phone calls.
    06-23-2021 12:56 PM
    I think the first one that's listed is the main one, but the others can also be tried.

What other Network Mode options do you have?

Also, try the Reset Network Settings option in the system settings.
    06-23-2021 01:01 PM
    I tried disabling roaming. 2 minutes ago under NETWORK OPERATORS it said "Home". Without me touching the phone now it says "Seaching for Service", so it still seems to be bouncing. It could very well be the SIM, IDK. The carrier representatives seem very unsure over the phone, so I don't know what to believe. All I know is it is still not working correctly. Thank you for your help Kizzy!
    Kizzy Catwoman likes this.
    06-23-2021 01:02 PM
    Network Mode Options are:

LTE/3G/2G (auto connect)
    3G/2G (auto connect)
    3G only
    2G only

I tried resetting once today, thinking about trying again. THANKS!
    06-23-2021 01:05 PM
    Although it's unlikely that coverage is an issue, Verizon isn't always the strongest carrier in a given area, so check this map to make sure your coverage is decent: https://www.pagepluscellular.com/why...plus/coverage/
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-23-2021 01:12 PM
    Ya I checked that, shows full green coverage all around me.

Do you think a Factory Reset would make any difference? I've already done that initially when I received the phone though.
    06-23-2021 01:20 PM
    Factory reset probably won't help. Do you know if this phone was originally sold by another carrier, or was it a "carrier-agnostic" unlocked phone sold directly from Samsung? Bringing phones from other carriers to historically CDMA networks like Verizon and what used to be Sprint can be notoriously wonky.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-23-2021 01:26 PM
    Purchased from an Amazon Seller, don't know the history for sure. It is definitely a Verizon formatted phone, is there anyway to determine if it's truly "unlocked"?
    06-23-2021 01:34 PM
    I wonder if this is the issue? Perhaps my phone isn't really unlocked.

Galaxy S9+    mobile network settings confusion-locked.jpg
    Kizzy Catwoman likes this.
    06-23-2021 01:42 PM
    Purchased from an Amazon Seller, don't know the history for sure. It is definitely a Verizon formatted phone, is there anyway to determine if it's truly "unlocked"?
    Go to settings>about phone>software page and take a screenshot i can look to see where it originally was
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-23-2021 02:02 PM
    I think VZW has (or had) an agreement with the FCC to sell only unlocked phones
    06-23-2021 02:28 PM
    Thanks Mustang!
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S9+    mobile network settings confusion-screenshot_20210623-152906_settings.jpg   Galaxy S9+    mobile network settings confusion-20210623_170524.jpg  
    mustang7757 likes this.
    06-23-2021 04:06 PM
    Your device was originally Att
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-23-2021 04:09 PM
    Hmm, so what does that mean? It will not work with CDMA networks? How exactly did they make an AT&T phone into Verizon?
    06-23-2021 04:19 PM
    Hmm, so what does that mean? It will not work with CDMA networks? How exactly did they make an AT&T phone into Verizon?
    Its sim unlocked, should work with CDMA , when its sim unlocked the sim card configure the device. Now the tricky thing here is Samsung do have issues with sim cards not directly from carrier such Verizon,AT&T,Tmobile ...straight talk is another have issues .

You can try the unlocked firmware and flash through odin to see how it is ? How long ago you got the device?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-23-2021 04:28 PM
    I got the phone a week ago. I could return it, and get another phone.
    I also have the Odin program if I knew which firmware file to use.

Thanks again for your help.
    06-23-2021 05:08 PM
    I got the phone a week ago. I could return it, and get another phone.
    I also have the Odin program if I knew which firmware file to use.

Thanks again for your help.
    I can help with flashing, but do you want to return it first or flash ?
    06-23-2021 06:29 PM
    I should return it. Thanks Mustang, I appreciate the advice.
    mustang7757 and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-23-2021 10:05 PM
    I should return it. Thanks Mustang, I appreciate the advice.
    Yeah definitely if you couldn't return it we can try the flash . Keep us posted , Your Welcome!
    06-23-2021 10:12 PM