Galaxy S9 will not connect to Kenwood head unit via Bluetooth.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have deleted cache, unchecked power saving, restarted the app, I'm out of ideas.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

What is the device you are attempting to connect to?

Have you read the user's manual for this device on how to connect?

Does the device appear in your list of possible connections? If so, is the device greyed out, unresponsive when tapping the link or what is it that you're experiencing?

The steps you've taken are typical steps for solving issues like this but with limited information there isn't much else that we can add without simply guessing. If you would like to reply to this thread and receive notifications when others leave replies, please create an account. This link will help you do that.. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Try reset network, go settings >general management >reset>reset network
Can also try in safe mode if it's OK in that mode

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I agree with VidJunky -- the first thing we need to know is the Bluetooth device you're trying to connect, so we can review the proper way to pair it.

lifeofbrian

Sep 15, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I agree with VidJunky -- the first thing we need to know is the Bluetooth device you're trying to connect, so we can review the proper way to pair it.

Sry, Kenwood KDC-BT740DAB car stereo.

So I start the pairing process, my phone sees the head unit, my phones name appears on the head unit, the head unit says press the volume button, then says pairing, Alexa pops up on my phone to ask if I want driving mode, then after about 5-10 seconds the head unit says PAIRING NG(Disabled), the pairing fails and my phone says check settings?

The manual says "For some Bluetooth devices, you may need to enter the PIN code immediately after searching". Maybe my phone should be asking for the PIN but for some reason isn't?

I have cleared Bluetooth data and cache, restarted my phone(Galaxy s9), I have removed the aftermarket case from the phone, held the phone right next to the head unit.

I have deleted cache, reset network, unchecked power saving, restarted the app, I'm out of ideas

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Sry, Kenwood KDC-BT740DAB car stereo.

So I start the pairing process, my phone sees the head unit, my phones name appears on the head unit, the head unit says press the volume button, then says pairing, Alexa pops up on my phone to ask if I want driving mode, then after about 5-10 seconds the head unit says PAIRING NG(Disabled), the pairing fails and my phone says check settings?

The manual says "For some Bluetooth devices, you may need to enter the PIN code immediately after searching". Maybe my phone should be asking for the PIN but for some reason isn't?

I have cleared Bluetooth data and cache, restarted my phone(Galaxy s9), I have removed the aftermarket case from the phone, held the phone right next to the head unit.

I have deleted cache, reset network, unchecked power saving, restarted the app, I'm out of ideas
Not crazy about those head units , but go into developer settings by Tapping build number 7 times go to Bluetooth settings there and try different configuration and see what works . You can also see how your phone with another cars Bluetooth if u have a chance but try developer settings.

lifeofbrian

Sep 15, 2021
Visit site
Not crazy about those head units , but go into developer settings by Tapping build number 7 times go to Bluetooth settings there and try different configuration and see what works . You can also see how your phone with another cars Bluetooth if u have a chance but try developer settings.

I did what you said, went back to settings and searched "Bluetooth", wow there are a lot of BT settings. What should I try?

lifeofbrian

Sep 15, 2021
Visit site
First and last picture try those settings, just remember or screen shot your stock values

I tried every option in your screenshots, plus "turn off AVC block list", and "Bluetooth audio LDAC codec: Playback quality" to "Optimised for Connection Quality", I also deleted cache, and reset network again. No luck.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
When pairing, do you have it set to use both audio and call Bluetooth connections? I don't have experience with that specific radio, but I've had some in the past that would fail if I tried to connect only as media streaming (I use a headset for calls).

lifeofbrian

Sep 15, 2021
Visit site
When pairing, do you have it set to use both audio and call Bluetooth connections? I don't have experience with that specific radio, but I've had some in the past that would fail if I tried to connect only as media streaming (I use a headset for calls).

Sorry, not sure what you mean, what setting is this?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, not sure what you mean, what setting is this?
When you go into your Bluetooth settings on the phone to look at the devices you paired with, then go into the options for a specific device, you'll see a call and media setting. If you are setting up a new pairing, it should ask how you want to set this, usually defaulting to both turned on. If the call setting is turned off, it's caused me problems with initial pairing.Screenshots_2021-09-15-18-54-27.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I tried every option in your screenshots, plus "turn off AVC block list", and "Bluetooth audio LDAC codec: Playback quality" to "Optimised for Connection Quality", I also deleted cache, and reset network again. No luck.
If you get a chance try your device in another car with Bluetooth that way we know for sure if its your device or the head unit

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
If you get a chance try your device in another car with Bluetooth that way we know for sure if its your device or the head unit

It may be easier to have a friend or someone connect to your head unit see what result they get. If they are able to get and maintain a connection you then try to reproduce their settings.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It may be easier to have a friend or someone connect to your head unit see what result they get. If they are able to get and maintain a connection you then try to reproduce their settings.
I agree , one of the more easier steps to troubleshoot and know which direction to go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC