S9 losing security updates

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Samsung has removed the Galaxy S9 series from its mobile security page.

The Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus will no longer receive security updates, marking the end of all software updates for them.

It's one thing to stop the os updates.
This is BS.
If people get hacked because Samsung knows of a security flaw, yet continues to prevent security updates, I hope whoever gets into a situation causing damage, they are held to account.
I'm typing this on my S9+.
Samsung, if you can see this, I will NEVER buy another Samsung cellphone, and will explain to all looking for a new phone, the security hole which you have decided to inflict on your customers for the sake of selling another phone. Fool me once, shame on you, there will be no 2nd time. Rant complete.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Planned obsolescence has become forced obsolescence.
Interesting that some think this is OK, on top of the joke diy repair pr that was just announced.
Does Samsung send mods free stuff on this forum?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Most phones are lucky to get 3 years of updates, Samsung provides 4 years of updates and the S9 is 4 years old.

Also I just checked, I can't find it on Samsungs website or anywhere else for sale new.

Honest question, was this your first smart phone?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Interesting that some think this is OK, on top of the joke diy repair pr that was just announced.

Can you link the article where Samsung confirmed that the S9 will stop working? That would be forced obsolescence.

Don't confuse us recognising the best of a bad lot with being ok with this. Most people here just live in the real world.

I can't speak to the mods getting free stuff, but I would strongly suspect that the answer is a very stern know lol.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
No, mods don't get any phones for free. We buy our own phones.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hahaha
I wish Samsung would give free phones

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I've been using smart phones since the first apple then an S3, S5, S8active, S9+, Pixel 3, and a few others. I posted the screenshot, viewed it, but somehow the link was broken.

View attachment 343803

Your Pixel 3 got it's last update a few months ago... and it only got 3 years of OS and security updates, but you don't seem too angry at Google? I'm currently still using my Pixel 3XL and enjoying it... losing updates isn't the end of the world, updates aren't magic armor. What protects you the most is being smart about how you use your phone. In fact monthly security updates quite often don't have anything security related in them... just bug fixes.

And I also wanted to see longer software support... and in fact, because customers complained, Samsung and Google have both extended their support considerably, Samsungs now offering 4 years OS and 5 years security updates, and Google's giving 3 years OS and 5 years security updates. That's longer than most folks will keep a phone ;)

I'm not a huge fan of Samsung... but they do support their flagship phones very well anymore.... better than anyone else besides Apple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan