ohs getting the samsung S9 +?

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I think stock is light, fast and great for those who want that. Personally, after trying the Pixel 2 and iPhone X, I like both phones very much. But I find myself missing the Samsung bells and whistles. A Samsung phone is the only type I could keep for more than a year without getting bored. There’s just always features to discover, and they always come up with things that takes iOS and other Android phones years to finally adopt.

Yeah, find myself liking the bells and whistles more and more these days. Great when stuff just works.

My Samsung is no less fast or light than my OP3 / 3T / 5 / Pixel was.

speedtrap63

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't get this argument anymore. "Stock" android is a white elephant. Why would you want it? What difference would it make?
What is stock anyway? AOSP ? , That runs like a bag of nails.

Mostly it is clean without duplicate apps that take up space and cannot be uninstalled. On a Pixel it also means 3 years of updates. I like the overall Samsung package, but having all the duplicate apps I will never use taking up space just bugs me.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
My Nokia 8 running stock seems like a lighter, snappier, more elegant device to use overall than my Note8. Doesn't help that my particular Note8 is one of those with a freezing issue on standby, but the Nokia made me miss that stock experience, especially in such an attractive, light, thin, yet very well-built form-factor.

For that reason, if I get an S9 it'll probably be the regular variant and not the Plus.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Mostly it is clean without duplicate apps that take up space and cannot be uninstalled. On a Pixel it also means 3 years of updates. I like the overall Samsung package, but having all the duplicate apps I will never use taking up space just bugs me.

I would just assume delete the Google stuff (except assistant) and go with the stock Samsung apps. Samsung Pay, Internet Browser and their theme store are things I surely miss

Last edited:

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
My Nokia 8 running stock seems like a lighter, snappier, more elegant device to use overall than my Note8. Doesn't help that my particular Note8 is one of those with a freezing issue on standby, but the Nokia made me miss that stock experience, especially in such an attractive, light, thin, yet very well-built form-factor.

For that reason, if I get an S9 it'll probably be the regular variant and not the Plus.

Considering the Nokia 8 for my wife next. The form factor is important to her.

speedtrap63

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I would just assume delete the Google stuff (except assistant) and go with the stock Samsung apps. Samsung Pay, Internet Browser and their theme store are things I surely miss

Unfortunately, you can't uninstall the Google apps or Samsung apps, at least not on my S7 Edge, so you end up with a bunch of duplicates that can only be disabled. I guess that's something, but I'd like to be able to free up the storage space.

I've never used Samsung Pay, how do you like it?

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Considering the Nokia 8 for my wife next. The form factor is important to her.

I love it. Just wish the camera was on par with the latest Samsungs. Nokia used to set the camera standard once upon a time. The Live Bokeh (portrait) mode is wonderful (lets you refocus and blur background even after the photo is taken), but overall photo quality is not as good as my Note8.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, you can't uninstall the Google apps or Samsung apps, at least not on my S7 Edge, so you end up with a bunch of duplicates that can only be disabled. I guess that's something, but I'd like to be able to free up the storage space.

It’s saved me several times when I’ve forgotten my wallet, because it’s taken almost everywhere. I love it

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

SP useless here in the 21st century. Magnetic swipe terminal? Lol not seen one in 10 years plus.

Only 6 small banks supported here as well as it's not really needed.

Use Android Pay every day though. Rarely need my wallet these days. AP has usual tap and pay limit of £30 though, it's only real draw back.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The one thing that concerns me with possibly getting the S9+ is that the rumor is that Samsung will be doing away with the S line after the 9, just like Google did away with the Nexus line. Will it continue to support S line phones for people who have them, or will they be forced to upgrade to whatever phone replaces the S line, which will undoubtedly be more expensive?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR