03-22-2018 09:39 AM
103 12345
tools
    Yes especially with Samsung generous trade in offer.
    02-25-2018 08:22 PM
    I'm on t-mobile and given their trade in deal it seems stupid for me not to. I bought mine around launch. My balance is 390. They are giving 360. I another year I will have either phone effectively paid off. The S9 will be worth more and have the slightly better features. I may opt for the S9+ though for the extra RAM and camera. the bigger battery is a nice plus too. I'd actually prefer the smaller form factor, but it's not a huge difference. But mostly for the RAM. My S8 hasn't been as snappy as I'd like it to be at times.
    03-01-2018 04:31 AM
    I'm on t-mobile and given their trade in deal it seems stupid for me not to. I bought mine around launch. My balance is 390. They are giving 360. I another year I will have either phone effectively paid off. The S9 will be worth more and have the slightly better features. I may opt for the S9+ though for the extra RAM and camera. the bigger battery is a nice plus too. I'd actually prefer the smaller form factor, but it's not a huge difference. But mostly for the RAM. My S8 hasn't been as snappy as I'd like it to be at times.
    The SD845's efficiency on the S9 may alleviate any lack of snappiness with the 4GB RAM on your S8, but only time will tell. Not sure the extra RAM will be of much benefit unless you're running a bunch of memory-intensive apps at once. It's mostly there for the 2nd telephoto lens.

Don't forget the bigger battery is also powering a larger screen, so battery life probably won't be different between the S9 and S9 Plus.
    03-01-2018 09:36 AM
    The SD845's efficiency on the S9 may alleviate any lack of snappiness with the 4GB RAM on your S8, but only time will tell. Not sure the extra RAM will be of much benefit unless you're running a bunch of memory-intensive apps at once. It's mostly there for the 2nd telephoto lens.

Don't forget the bigger battery is also powering a larger screen, so battery life probably won't be different between the S9 and S9 Plus.
    Its possible the faster processor may make it better, but I have a feeling I'm running into issues with RAM. Seems to respond better after clearing apps out of ram or closing them entirely. Having the extra RAM couldn't hurt.

I do understand the screen is bigger, but from the battery tests of the s8/+ it seems the net result is still longer running times. Not a huge improvement in the tests, but must battery tests are designed to run down the battery at some reasonable speed with a repeatable load. A 40 minute difference in a test can translate to a couple of hours inn real heritage depending on how it is used. And that's not insignificant.
    03-01-2018 11:24 AM
    Its possible the faster processor may make it better, but I have a feeling I'm running into issues with RAM. Seems to respond better after clearing apps out of ram or closing them entirely. Having the extra RAM couldn't hurt.

I do understand the screen is bigger, but from the battery tests of the s8/+ it seems the net result is still longer running times. Not a huge improvement in the tests, but must battery tests are designed to run down the battery at some reasonable speed with a repeatable load. A 40 minute difference in a test can translate to a couple of hours inn real heritage depending on how it is used. And that's not insignificant.
    In the end it'll come down to trade-offs. Which is unfortunate... IMO the only thing that should ever separate the regular size from the plus is physical size (and naturally, battery size).

I just stopped by a local T-Mobile store that had display units ready to go on the floor starting tomorrow. They only showed me after a bit of coaxing. I held the S9+ and I really couldn't tell the difference in size from the Note8. This solidified for me that I'll be getting the regular S9, even with 2GB less RAM.

Like you said, the extra 2GB wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it'll make enough of a difference for me to sacrifice full-time one-handed usage.

Not sure if you're on T-Mobile Jump on Demand, but the way I see it, if I decided for any reason that I wanted to go to the Plus, I can do it at just about any time after getting the regular S9.

The T-Mobile rep said as far as he remembers, "a lot more people were getting the S8 than the S8 Plus, so I think Samsung wanted to differentiate them more this time."
    03-01-2018 01:49 PM
    FYI for the posts above .. the 2 GB of RAM won't matter. Maybe for VR but for using apps / day-to-day use .. You won't be seeing a difference.
    hasasimo likes this.
    03-01-2018 01:57 PM
    FYI for the posts above .. the 2 GB of RAM won't matter. Maybe for VR but for using apps / day-to-day use .. You won't be seeing a difference.
    I feel like with a Samsung phone this won't be the case. My wife's Note 8 is snappier than my S8+ and the only difference is the ram. I think it'll matter. Sure it won't matter much, but I feel like over time you'll be able to see the difference more and more.
    03-01-2018 05:14 PM
    I feel like with a Samsung phone this won't be the case. My wife's Note 8 is snappier than my S8+ and the only difference is the ram. I think it'll matter. Sure it won't matter much, but I feel like over time you'll be able to see the difference more and more.
    You may be right, but FWIW this reviewer says the smaller S9 is snappier than his S8.
    03-01-2018 05:19 PM
    You may be right, but FWIW this reviewer says the smaller S9 is snappier than his S8.
    Well it should be, considering it has a newer processor. SD835 and 4gb of ram< SD845 and 4gb ram. That's kind of a given. Now if he had said that it was snappier than or just as snappy as an S9+ that would be different.
    03-01-2018 05:29 PM
    I just called my local T-Mobile store and they told me they got a S9 Plus on display so I'm going to check it out and will take photos if they'll let me
    03-01-2018 05:49 PM
    Well it should be, considering it has a newer processor. SD835 and 4gb of ram< SD845 and 4gb ram. That's kind of a given. Now if he had said that it was snappier than or just as snappy as an S9+ that would be different.
    Posted it because CKwik240 wondered if the S9 would be snappier than his S8 despite the same amount of RAM.
    03-01-2018 06:13 PM
    Posted it because CKwik240 wondered if the S9 would be snappier than his S8 despite the same amount of RAM.
    Ah ok, confusing because you quoted me.
    03-01-2018 06:15 PM
    Ah ok, confusing because you quoted me.
    You quoted Almeuit, who was responding to CKwik240
    03-01-2018 06:23 PM
    You quoted Almeuit, who was responding to CKwik240
    Lol oh ok.
    hasasimo likes this.
    03-01-2018 06:28 PM
    Actually the comparison I'm trying to make is between the s9 and s9+ as I prefer the s9 size but am leaning towards the s9+ for all the reasons I stated before. The extra RAM is just a part of that, albeit potentially a significant one as my s8 had been a bit laggy as of late and I'd probably prefer to deal with the larger size than end up with the same problem on an s9.
    03-01-2018 06:38 PM
    I like that the S9+ has the 3500 battery. My note 8 has a 3300 battery. Wonder how much difference that makes.
    03-01-2018 07:18 PM
    Some photos when I played with one tonight at Tmobile .
    gendo667 likes this.
    03-01-2018 07:19 PM
    03-01-2018 07:42 PM
    03-01-2018 08:28 PM
    03-01-2018 09:02 PM
    Thanks for the photos.
    03-01-2018 10:06 PM
    S8 owners - are you planning on the update to the S9? If yes, WHY? If no, WHY NOT?
    Yep just pre-ordered through best buy. Saved $100 over VZW even though I had nothing to trade. What other reason did I have to be up at midnight? Looking forward to the dual cams and improved fingerprint sensor placement!

(Well **** now I gotta buy a new case I just realized oh well 2 weeks to get that done)
    03-01-2018 11:32 PM
    Yep just pre-ordered through best buy. Saved $100 over VZW even though I had nothing to trade. What other reason did I have to be up at midnight? Looking forward to the dual cams and improved fingerprint sensor placement!

(Well **** now I gotta buy a new case I just realized oh well 2 weeks to get that done)
    Lol. Are you going to check out cases on Amazon? I bet they've got some good deals.
    03-02-2018 04:42 AM
    I hoping to upgrade have Bluetooth issues with my car. but not sure I will be able to afford upgrade. Phones are pretty expensive
    03-02-2018 04:52 AM
    I hoping to upgrade have Bluetooth issues with my car. but not sure I will be able to afford upgrade. Phones are pretty expensive
    I may end up upgrading, depending. I have a Samsung Tab S3 tablet that I love, so going to the S9Plus wouldn't really be that big of a deal for me. I'm with Tmobile, the tablet is with Verizon. I'm seeing some specials through the retailers that are enticing so... not sure.
    03-02-2018 04:56 AM
103 12345