Are you going to update to the S9 from the S8?

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Wow, that's a lot of money! I went from Galaxy S2 to S5 and now S8+, so if all goes as planned my next phone will probably be S11. Also I never buy them new but get one a few weeks old from someone who bought it but doesn't like (or rather understand) it. Here in The Netherlands we don't have the possibility to exchange phones like you do in the US, so if you get a phone and you decide that one is not for you, you're either stuck with it or put it up for sale and lose €200-300.
Well this seems like much less wasteful system.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to buy directly from Samsung if the unlocked version will work with the four major carriers here in the US. I'll get 300 beans for the S7E so I think thats a good deal. I doubt I could sell it outright for that.

ThrowinRocks

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
Well crap!!!! Looks like I'm getting the unlocked S9. I was really expecting the price to be in the $800-850 range but since it's only $719 and now has the dual speakers I'm in.

quadtronix

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking more and more about the S9+... it's really ridiculous as I just got my S8+ at the end of September last year but still... I'm tempted!! I won't list all the reasons I would like the S9+ since you all know the standard list of upgrades it offers. Plus if I paid off my S8+ it would not cost me that much... and if I traded it in it would be even less I believe. We'll see...

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
My wife is on the Galaxy Forever program with Sprint so I'll be getting her a Lilac Purple S9+ to replace her Orchid Gray S8+.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Nope. If the display was better for VR (still same diamond pentile) I might have jumped. Apparently same display tech as before. Speakers are interesting, but not seeing much to jump from 8+. Too spensive' for the differences. 8+ still rocks.

That said, if Dex is a lot better experience than current version. Maybe.

filanto

May 19, 2016
Visit site
only if I get the same price reduction as I did when I upgraded from the S7 to the S8. darn good sale at best buy, I got the phone for about the same amount as I owed on the S7, so my monthly payment dropped a lot

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm on t-mobile and given their trade in deal it seems stupid for me not to. I bought mine around launch. My balance is 390. They are giving 360. I another year I will have either phone effectively paid off. The S9 will be worth more and have the slightly better features. I may opt for the S9+ though for the extra RAM and camera. the bigger battery is a nice plus too. I'd actually prefer the smaller form factor, but it's not a huge difference. But mostly for the RAM. My S8 hasn't been as snappy as I'd like it to be at times.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm on t-mobile and given their trade in deal it seems stupid for me not to. I bought mine around launch. My balance is 390. They are giving 360. I another year I will have either phone effectively paid off. The S9 will be worth more and have the slightly better features. I may opt for the S9+ though for the extra RAM and camera. the bigger battery is a nice plus too. I'd actually prefer the smaller form factor, but it's not a huge difference. But mostly for the RAM. My S8 hasn't been as snappy as I'd like it to be at times.

The SD845's efficiency on the S9 may alleviate any lack of snappiness with the 4GB RAM on your S8, but only time will tell. Not sure the extra RAM will be of much benefit unless you're running a bunch of memory-intensive apps at once. It's mostly there for the 2nd telephoto lens.

Don't forget the bigger battery is also powering a larger screen, so battery life probably won't be different between the S9 and S9 Plus.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
The SD845's efficiency on the S9 may alleviate any lack of snappiness with the 4GB RAM on your S8, but only time will tell. Not sure the extra RAM will be of much benefit unless you're running a bunch of memory-intensive apps at once. It's mostly there for the 2nd telephoto lens.

Don't forget the bigger battery is also powering a larger screen, so battery life probably won't be different between the S9 and S9 Plus.

Its possible the faster processor may make it better, but I have a feeling I'm running into issues with RAM. Seems to respond better after clearing apps out of ram or closing them entirely. Having the extra RAM couldn't hurt.

I do understand the screen is bigger, but from the battery tests of the s8/+ it seems the net result is still longer running times. Not a huge improvement in the tests, but must battery tests are designed to run down the battery at some reasonable speed with a repeatable load. A 40 minute difference in a test can translate to a couple of hours inn real heritage depending on how it is used. And that's not insignificant.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Its possible the faster processor may make it better, but I have a feeling I'm running into issues with RAM. Seems to respond better after clearing apps out of ram or closing them entirely. Having the extra RAM couldn't hurt.

I do understand the screen is bigger, but from the battery tests of the s8/+ it seems the net result is still longer running times. Not a huge improvement in the tests, but must battery tests are designed to run down the battery at some reasonable speed with a repeatable load. A 40 minute difference in a test can translate to a couple of hours inn real heritage depending on how it is used. And that's not insignificant.

In the end it'll come down to trade-offs. Which is unfortunate... IMO the only thing that should ever separate the regular size from the plus is physical size (and naturally, battery size).

I just stopped by a local T-Mobile store that had display units ready to go on the floor starting tomorrow. They only showed me after a bit of coaxing. I held the S9+ and I really couldn't tell the difference in size from the Note8. This solidified for me that I'll be getting the regular S9, even with 2GB less RAM.

Like you said, the extra 2GB wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it'll make enough of a difference for me to sacrifice full-time one-handed usage.

Not sure if you're on T-Mobile Jump on Demand, but the way I see it, if I decided for any reason that I wanted to go to the Plus, I can do it at just about any time after getting the regular S9.

The T-Mobile rep said as far as he remembers, "a lot more people were getting the S8 than the S8 Plus, so I think Samsung wanted to differentiate them more this time."

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
FYI for the posts above .. the 2 GB of RAM won't matter. Maybe for VR but for using apps / day-to-day use .. You won't be seeing a difference.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
FYI for the posts above .. the 2 GB of RAM won't matter. Maybe for VR but for using apps / day-to-day use .. You won't be seeing a difference.
I feel like with a Samsung phone this won't be the case. My wife's Note 8 is snappier than my S8+ and the only difference is the ram. I think it'll matter. Sure it won't matter much, but I feel like over time you'll be able to see the difference more and more.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I just called my local T-Mobile store and they told me they got a S9 Plus on display so I'm going to check it out and will take photos if they'll let me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae