Note 8 or S9+

Frozen Corpse

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I can't decide if I want to stick with my Note 8 or JUMP to the S9. Really, the only thing I see as an upgrade is the speakers. Help needed! Thanks in advance...

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Yes well, I think there is already a discussion about this on here.. I'll try and find it..
In any case, it really depends on the S pen. Do you want the pen or not?
Size not an issue? By the sounds the S9 isn't that much different from the S8...
Even though the speakers are supposed to be stereo etc, they just using the crappy earpiece as one speaker, so I wouldn't expect anything too starting in that department.
Unless you get the + model, you not getting all that much bang for your buck in my opinion, it just depends if you want that shiny new machine ??????

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes well, I think there is already a discussion about this on here.. I'll try and find it..
In any case, it really depends on the S pen. Do you want the pen or not?
Size not an issue? By the sounds the S9 isn't that much different from the S8...
Even though the speakers are supposed to be stereo etc, they just using the crappy earpiece as one speaker, so I wouldn't expect anything too starting in that department.
Unless you get the + model, you not getting all that much bang for your buck in my opinion, it just depends if you want that shiny new machine
They using AKG tuned speakers. And it's not necessarily they used the same crappy earpiece as before. Apple and HTC both use the earpiece as the second speaker.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, whatever they use, I can't see any meaningful audio coming from a slot that's two mm wide and ten long...
I'll take it if it's an improvement over what we have now. The sound I get out of my Note 8 is about the only sub-par element of this handset. Sometimes I'll put this thing on speakerphone so the person next to me can join the conversation, but sometimes it's hard for them to hear even on max volume. Speaker is weak on this thing. Yes, my environment can be noisy, but other phones do much better.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I have a Note8 and will be "upgrading" (less RAM) to the regular S9. My Note8 is one of the units being plagued with freezing issues while on standby. Though recent updates have made them less frequent.

I've been using a Nokia 8, and while I've thoroughly enjoyed it, and even prefer it to Samsung devices in many respects, the camera isn't quite up to snuff. It has, however, made me realize how much I miss devices in that size range after I had preferred phablets for a while. Just too bad Samsung will be skimping on the RAM compared to the S9+.

Only question at this point is which color S9 I'll be getting. No compelling options compared to the polished copper Nokia 8. Might just go with black, might go with coral blue. Depends how it looks in the photos and videos of the device that'll be out in about 12 hours from this post.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm considering taking the plunge. That purple is too much for me to pass up. And yes, I am a person who cares about the physical aesthetics of my phone

Plus, I'm really digging the new FPS placement. I'll sleep on it.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
S9+ looks nice but I just can't justify leaving the note 8 for it.
True. I have the same issue. I love my note 8. I'll wait for the note 9 and jump on that day 1. Really have to learn to wait. But I do love new tech. But I know the note 9 will get all the new features plus some. So I'll try my best to wait.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
True. I have the same issue. I love my note 8. I'll wait for the note 9 and jump on that day 1. Really have to learn to wait. But I do love new tech. But I know the note 9 will get all the new features plus some. So I'll try my best to wait.
My thoughts exactly!

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Snap.:)
Might get the wife one though so I can test it out.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Title say S9+ and the post says S9... so I just wanted to be clear... if you were going to make the swap, at the very least I'd go to the S9+ so you get the 6gb ram. I guess it could run smooth with 4gb but with the Note 8 probably being one of the first Samsung where I barely hear any issue of lag, I wouldn't do a 'downgrade' with the smaller ram version.

Love the idea of stereo speakers and the updated cameras will probably be cool and an upgrade over the Note 8 but if you like the S-Pen then the S-Pen imo cancels out those two updates on the S9+ and to shell out near $1k for it doesn't excite me. I'd hold on to the Note 8 and if you want to spend money then get the Note 9.

Is there something wrong with the Note 8 that makes you want to go to the S9 or are you just wanting the latest and greatest? If it's the latter, first glance and if you carry a case people won't even be able to tell which model you have... S9, S8, Note 8 or even an S7 Edge. Not like when my wife is using her iPhone X and you can tell those a mile a away with that notch. But when you pull that S-Pen out from the sylo... it separates the Note 8 from all other phones.

I can't decide if I want to stick with my Note 8 or JUMP to the S9. Really, the only thing I see as an upgrade is the speakers. Help needed! Thanks in advance...

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
After looking at the s9 plus I don't think the differences are significant enough to spend the 4-5 hundred after trade to swap my note 8 for the 9. Especially since I would be losing the s pen and a smaller screen. Albeit just very slightly smaller.

The s9 plus will be a great phone for sure. I have no doubt about it. But since I already have the Note 8 I don't want to have to pay to switch and lose my pen. I'll wait for the Note 9 which won't probably wont be a huge upgrade either but it at least will keep the pen and give samsung a chance to refine their new emojis.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'll be using my tmobile JOD to switch to the 9+ then back to the note 9 in August or September when they release it. Don't use the spen enough for it to be a deciding factor. I'm really looking forward to the fps and new camera setup.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney