Is it worth upgrading to the S9 from the S8? Or just a spec bump?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been afk most of the day, so have missed a lot of the news/details on the S9 announcement today. Getting caught up now, but initial reports seem to suggest the S9 is 'mostly' a spec bump over the S8. Updated internals, a faster phone, a more solid and polished build... but the two things I'm starting to read about more and more are a) the camera is spectacular, and b) the fingerprint sensor is now where it should be.

What do you think - is the S9 simply a spec bump, or a worthwhile upgrade from the S8?

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I feel that over the recent past, all new phones fall under the same question. Spec bumps are enough for a lot of people. But there are always those who'll always skip a generation. I for one think every spec bump and change is good over last years model. With Samsung $350 s8 trade in offer the s9 plus will cost a lot less. Which makes it much more palatable to switch from the s8

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
If the camera really appeals to you or the Exynos SoC if you live in Europe, Asia and other parts of the world, then it may be a worthwhile upgrade.

Otherwise, meh

I_didnt_do_it

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
I have high blood pressure, so if I were to ever get one down the road, i would definitely check that blood pressure sensor out and compare it to my home machine and the one at my Dr's office. Would be interesting to see just exactly how accurate it would be. It is possible it would be within 5-8 points higher or lower considering the heart rate monitor on the s5, S6 line, and S7 line were pretty dead on with what my portable oximeter reads out.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
In my early opinion i'd agree with the speck bump opinion.

I'll reserve my final opinion / judgement until I get one to use which is normally a retail unit in a Samsung Experience Store in the UK.

I'm using a s8 which currently ticks all my wants and needs boxes.

I also buy sim free at full price in the UK from Samsung so after looking at the selling on price of the s8 i'd be looking at adding around £400'ish to buy a s9.

The spec bumps and finger print sensor placement does not warrant the outlay in my opinion right now.
I'm a very light user of the camera so that feature does not draw me in.

I'll also wait to view unboxings and real user reviews and comparison YouTube reviews.

omelet1978

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I think the best new feature isn’t the camera or the Animoji stuff but the upgraded speakers. However, if your S8 is working for you then definitely skip and wait for the S10 or SX or whatever they call it.

callihan_44

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I agree that the s9 is mostly an s8 with a new name, but yeah the dual speakers is a nice feature to have plus im keeping an eye on how well the camera performs ... Im pretty much a lock on getting the s9, my iphone needs retired

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
IMO no. I feel we've reached the point where a yearly upgrade isn't a good use of money. There is too little to differentiate it.

Honestly I'm up for upgrade at the end of March and I'm seriously considering either leaving the flagships altogether and go for the A8 (2018), or go the 1 year behind flagship route (get an S8). The only thing I'm waiting for is my carrier's final pricing for the S9.

And no, other brands aren't an option at this point because none of them has released a competitor to the S9 in terms of performance and my carrier's deals on Samsung phones always makes going for other brands more expensive or not as bang for buck. Not to mention reselling price for non Samsung Androids is really bad here.

Basically the best answer to your question is, if it's doubtful to br worth it, then it's not.

kalel114

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I am upgrading form an 8s+.I do a lot of tv/movie streaming on my phone, so the dual speakers is a feature I'm kind of excited for. Strange as it sounds. Lol. The camera is great upgrade as well. However, if I wasn't already in the Galaxy Forever program, it wouldn't be as easy a decision.

Edit: The extra ram is nice to have as well.

jma78b

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I thought there wasn't going to be much of a spec upgrade. I thought it was just going to be a new camera. So I thought I'd keep my S8 but get the fancy Note 8. Then I watched the show last week and thought - I need this phone! I sent back my Note 8 (never used the S pen anyhow) and have ordered the S9+ on upgrade. I'm mostly getting this phone because it's the same price as the Note 8 but it has 128gb of built in storage. So not a hard think at all! Can't wait for it to come next week :)

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
IMO no. I feel we've reached the point where a yearly upgrade isn't a good use of money. There is too little to differentiate it.

Yup, exactly this, and it's been like that for quite some time now. Phones have been great for some time now, with the exception of some persisting issues like faster software updates across the board, and even midrange phones are more than capable. Just like most people mentioned already it's really the camera, right placement of the finger print scanner, and the stereo speakers.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't even thinking about it until I was the promotion for trade-in at T-Mobile and Samsung. Basically amounts to an almost free upgrade. So slightly better specs and better resale. It makes pretty good sense in my case.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
A little disappointing to see a rather poor turn out on discounts/trade-ins for s8 owners. Frankly I am simply going to wait for the After release deals, after all it wasn't too long before the s8 started seeing even more discounts after its release. There is nothing here that I need right now.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I played with it a little at BB tonight and other than the camera and fingerprint reader, if you'd told me I was playing with an S8+ I'd probably have believed you. Definitely a spec bump. I preordered one just the same. :)

DsM

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Regardless of how good the speakers are they will still be mucho inferior to headphones or a Bluetooth speaker. I prefer the better sound quality.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
When you guys get it can someone who used a s8 speak on the width differences and if the s9 is easier to type on? Since it's about 0.06 wider than the s8.

Thanks

Brett Sites

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
Been debating this upgrade. Gonna cost me about $170 via Verizon due to paying off the S8+ I just got last year. Or should I wait? I just really want the new camera...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital