Is it worth upgrading to the S9 from the S8? Or just a spec bump?

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Your phone has direct dial. So if you in a message or contact page just place the phone to your ear and it dials automatically. It's even easier than what you were doing.

And I get missed call notification. Not sure why your not.

I had no idea about the direct dial feature, but I tried it and it works perfectly. We tried it on my wife's 8+ and it also has that feature. Who knew? (well, not me, lol).

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I had no idea about the direct dial feature, but I tried it and it works perfectly. We tried it on my wife's 8+ and it also has that feature. Who knew? (well, not me, lol).
Yeah it's been on Samsung phones since the Galaxy S3. It's one those long list of Samsung features.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I have Galaxy Forever on Sprint so it was a no-brainer for me to upgrade even though I wasn't expecting much of a difference. I want from a Galaxy S8 to a S9 Plus and I have been pleasantly surprised by the huge user-experience difference. as others have said, the iris scanner / face reader is in a noticeable upgrade in addition to the other obvious things like that camera and the additional RAM and larger battery. I haven't had my phone long enough to really talk about the battery yet. However the screen looks amazing and my husband who has the S8 Plus also noticed a big difference in the S9 plus screen over his phone's.

My scenario exactly, and my experience as well.

I'm very impressed with the speed of the facial recognition. The iris recognition with the S8 was a pain in the butt to use, so I defaulted to the fingerprint function. The S9 solution is far and away superior.

Coming from the S8 (non plus), I'm also pleased with the battery on the S9+. Whether that's due solely to the 500mah bump in size or the efficiency of the Snapdragon 845 processor, I having no problem with going all day without a recharge (so far).

Derfin

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
There are some noticeable upgrades, but are they worth. I guess it's individual. Upgraders will find the reason, others wil find excuse.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Wow I had no idea and I had the s4!
It's actually worth checking every nook and cranny of the Samsung apps and settings. For example, if your carrier did not disable it, in the stock Samsung Messaging app, there is an option for Enhanced Messaging. Basically this is the closest thing to iMessage. For any Samsung phone with this enabled, pictures send full res over Samsung servers to the recipient as long as it's Samsung with this feature enabled too.

KenU

Mar 13, 2018
Visit site
Your phone has direct dial. So if you in a message or contact page just place the phone to your ear and it dials automatically. It's even easier than what you were doing.

Re ear to phone calling: Yes, but too many times have made inadvertent calls that way.

KenU

Mar 13, 2018
Visit site

Another reason I disabled that function on my S8: I drive a lot and where I live having a phone to your ear is a $200 ticket. Yes, so is texting, but very easy to finger-slide the name across to call in its holder, rather than raise the phone to my ear. Sure I could quickly put it back in the holder but with my luck it would happen right when a cop is looking at/passing me!! Not sure why Samsung decided to remove the slide to call feature on the text page on the S9.
My S9 is already at the UPS Store for return.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Another reason I disabled that function on my S8: I drive a lot and where I live having a phone to your ear is a $200 ticket. Yes, so is texting, but very easy to finger-slide the name across to call in its holder, rather than raise the phone to my ear. Sure I could quickly put it back in the holder but with my luck it would happen right when a cop is looking at/passing me!! Not sure why Samsung decided to remove the slide to call feature on the text page on the S9.
My S9 is already at the UPS Store for return.
If you really want the slide to call, Textra has that feature.

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
It's worth on Jump ON DEMAND. I'm loving the stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos and the FPS location makes a huge difference. I like that they added pull down notification gesture without needed to install Nova and that they upgraded the home grid to 5 x 6. I like their new default messaging color bubbles and they upgraded some icons. I still haven't really tested the camera.

I don't like that it's heavier and thicker than the S8+ and the battery is meh.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
It's worth on Jump ON DEMAND. I'm loving the stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos and the FPS location makes a huge difference. I like that they added pull down notification gesture without needed to install Nova and that they upgraded the home grid to 5 x 6. I like their new default messaging color bubbles and they upgraded some icons. I still haven't really tested the camera.

I don't like that it's heavier and thicker than the S8+ and the battery is meh.
Awesome you like it. I love mine. But the pull down for the notification shade was on the note 8 as well. I used it on my Note.

mrcrusha829

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
My bad: On S9 text page, must go to top of page to phone icon, hit that, see number at bottom, then press button to call... too many steps now vs just sliding to the right to call the person on my S8.

Although I agree with you that the changes suck I believe they are also going to be coming to the Galaxy S8 (Not sure if you are on that one now). Once Oreo is available for all of the S8 line it will also come with Experience 9.0 which most likely is what has changed everything with the UI.

weone

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
It seems to me that it is an appropriate mobile that they have echo is updating it, if i had a s8 i would not change the s9, i would wait for the future

ipeaches

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
It's actually worth checking every nook and cranny of the Samsung apps and settings. For example, if your carrier did not disable it, in the stock Samsung Messaging app, there is an option for Enhanced Messaging. Basically this is the closest thing to iMessage. For any Samsung phone with this enabled, pictures send full res over Samsung servers to the recipient as long as it's Samsung with this feature enabled too.

Looks like Sprint disabled it

yvsmadhav

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Yes I agree that Samsung is not giving due interest to the Note series. Of course, the line between the Note devices and the Sx devices is getting hazier with very little differentiation.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX