Is it worth upgrading to the S9 from the S8? Or just a spec bump?

pedrouliani

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
At this point in bland yearly releases, you need to wait at least 2 years for the bump in specs is noticable.

Exactly! This way the feeling of satisfaction is better cause you can really see the changes they made, I normally upgrade my phone every 4 years, hopefully I’m gonna upgrade this year to S9

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Why not get a Bluetooth earpiece, especially if you have to send/receive calls while driving? Most jurisdictions allow them.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Things to do for newbie to Samsung phone

Since Nova is great, you could use and set up Nova on your current phone. Backup the Nova set up on your sd card and then put the sd card in the S9+ when you get it and then restore the backup. Nova will restore the homescreens to your new S9+

I've done this with every upgrade since my S4. Works very well. You just have to make sure all of your apps are installed, obviously.

I had an S8+ and decided that I wanted to grab an S9+. The big bump in RAM and dual camera were enough for me to take the plunge. Not sure if it's due to the RAM or the fact that the S9+ runs Oreo but the S9+ feels way smoother than my S8+ did. I'm digging Oreo so far. I'm happy with the upgrade. I get a new phone every year anyway and there was nothing else that was I was really interested in.

yvsmadhav

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
I will once again that the S9+ is a great phone. The camera is simply outstanding enough to merit the upgrade from the S8 with affordability being the only question.

rdrive41071

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
I have always upgraded to the newest, and best phone every year - so the question whether or not to upgrade for me is irrelevant. But to answer the OP's question - Yes I think the jump to the s9+ is absolutely worth it, for a few reasons

- Better camera
- More customization
- Better all-round performance
- Stereo speakers (sounds so much better now)
- Better Hardware imo - Feels better in my hand
- Screen is even more gorgeous than the s8 - If you can imagine that

Idk - It just seems like what was good on the s8 - is now 10x better on the s9

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Depends IMO for S9+ on what you value more. If you highly value better sounding speakers, louder 3.5mm output, noticeably faster performance, better low light pics, optical zoom and generally better signal reception (Verizon 845 version anyway). Yes. Otherwise seems no point.

Last edited:

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Now that I've had the phone for awhile, if you hadn't told me that I upgraded to the S9+ I pretty much wouldn't know that I didn't still have my S8+. I guess the camera is better? Screen looks the same to me. Battery life is the same. The phone is heavier and the fingerprint reader is in a better spot, but I'd gotten used to it on my S8+. They always talk about the new processor is going to be more efficient and better for battery life, but it is no different in my experience. I always upgrade to the new phones, but this one seems like barely an iPhone S upgrade.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's 30% more efficient statement is deceiving, since that is taken up by the faster GPU and CPU. That's why a lot faster, but same battery life- for 845 version anyway. If was same speed, then we might see some battery gains. Still a 10nm chip.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I thought there wasn't going to be much of a spec upgrade. I thought it was just going to be a new camera. So I thought I'd keep my S8 but get the fancy Note 8. Then I watched the show last week and thought - I need this phone! I sent back my Note 8 (never used the S pen anyhow) and have ordered the S9+ on upgrade. I'm mostly getting this phone because it's the same price as the Note 8 but it has 128gb of built in storage. So not a hard think at all! Can't wait for it to come next week :)

The 9 Plus has 128 of storage? I got an unlocked Note 8 a few months back cause of the 6 gigs of ram and camera but never use the pen hate the FP sensor and now I am wanting to sell my note for a 9 plus. Got offered 600 so I guess I may do it. That lilac is so pretty so now I came back here to read all about and am seeing what others are doing.

I heard the AR Emoji is a joke but it sounds cute and cool to me but I did read better camera and of course the stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos interest me. I just know my note 8 when I get to work at 2pm and it's pretty full battery I never have to charge it the whole 8 hours at work like I did my 7 edge. So I hope this is even better.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Well it's worth the upgrade if you have a passion for mobile photography like myself, but overall its the same thing from the inside and outside as well, but still, there is a way you can upgrade to s9 for less than 70 percent of the original price, sell your old s8 and add few 100s$ instead of $800, you will easily upgrade to s9 for less than $600

Theirs enough new features and specs to where I am willing to sell my note 8 which I just got a few months back and pay just a couple hundred for an unlocked 9plus. The Note is to big for me I never use the pen and hate the FP sensor. Me and my husband both turned in our 7 Edge to Samsung and got 300 off and bought the Note 8's outright 1st time with Note series and unlocked. But I want the lilac purple 9 plus pretty badly. LOL!

Marc Bondura

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Maybe I'm in the minority here… but I went from the S8 plus to the S9 plus and I couldn't be happier I'm also not having any such issues that other people are not one single issue but to me the S9 plus feels like what the SA plus should have been last year midnight black S9 plus with a black Otterbox symmetry thin 1 piece case makes for the sleekest phone I've ever owned and hands down the most powerful

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm in the minority here… but I went from the S8 plus to the S9 plus and I couldn't be happier I'm also not having any such issues that other people are not one single issue but to me the S9 plus feels like what the SA plus should have been last year midnight black S9 plus with a black Otterbox symmetry thin 1 piece case makes for the sleekest phone I've ever owned and hands down the most powerful
This.

eddyknights

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I will once again that the S9+ is a great phone. The camera is simply outstanding enough to merit the upgrade from the S8 with affordability being the only question.

The camera is almost identical to the 7 8 ect not much difference only dual camera like the note is the only upgrade