Is it worth upgrading to the S9 from the S8? Or just a spec bump?

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes I agree that Samsung is not giving due interest to the Note series. Of course, the line between the Note devices and the Sx devices is getting hazier with very little differentiation.

I think the Note gets a lot of interest still, but there are some things that are easier to introduce on the S Series as time has gone by. Both the Notes and S series are platforms to test out new ideas that then get passed down to the other phones and devices.

I am mostly happy with my switch from the Note 8 to the S9 Plus, but I'm on a plan where I can upgrade to the Note 9 in a few month to get back to the Spen, along with the stereo speakers, adaptive sound, fingerprint unlock, faster CPU, android 8.0 and other features that I expect to show up on the Note 9 plus an improved display and (slightly but significantly) larger screen.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I think the Note gets a lot of interest still, but there are some things that are easier to introduce on the S Series as time has gone by. Both the Notes and S series are platforms to test out new ideas that then get passed down to the other phones and devices.

I am mostly happy with my switch from the Note 8 to the S9 Plus, but I'm on a plan where I can upgrade to the Note 9 in a few month to get back to the Spen, along with the stereo speakers, adaptive sound, fingerprint unlock, faster CPU, android 8.0 and other features that I expect to show up on the Note 9 plus an improved display and (slightly but significantly) larger screen.

The S9 and S9+ both have stereo speakers, adaptive sound, and fingerprint unlock, as well as Android 8.0. Shortens the list of differences between the Galaxy S line and the Note line a bit. Probably will have Android 8.1 and hopefully a faster CPU, too. Although I don't feel the need for a faster CPU myself, and I can live without Android 8.1 *smile*.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Since the GS3, I have skipped only the GS5 for it being just a spec bump. I have also skipped on the Plus Galaxy variants due to the cost not justifying only getting more screen real estate.

Therefore, I was a bit ambivalent about pulling the trigger on upgrading from my GS8. After a bit of thought and research I decided to not only upgrade to the GS9 but also pull the trigger on the Plus variant.

For the added cost, there is better camera hardware and features. More RAM and a larger battery. Brighter screen. More screen real estate. All this and the GS9 spec bump. In sum, from my perspective, more than a spec bump with GS9+.

The GS9+ is what the GS8 should have been. Samsung should drop the non-plus variant as the additional screen real estate is not that big of a deal. Just produce one regular Galaxy variant with the larger display with the only difference between it and the Note is the stylus. Then also the Active variant.

lmandl

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Since the GS3, I have skipped only the GS5 for it being just a spec bump. I have also skipped on the Plus Galaxy variants due to the cost not justifying only getting more screen real estate.

Therefore, I was a bit ambivalent about pulling the trigger on upgrading from my GS8. After a bit of thought and research I decided to not only upgrade to the GS9 but also pull the trigger on the Plus variant.

For the added cost, there is better camera hardware and features. More RAM and a larger battery. Brighter screen. More screen real estate. All this and the GS9 spec bump. In sum, from my perspective, more than a spec bump with GS9+.

The GS9+ is what the GS8 should have been. Samsung should drop the non-plus variant as the additional screen real estate is not that big of a deal. Just produce one regular Galaxy variant with the larger display with the only difference between it and the Note is the stylus. Then also the Active variant.
It's more like a skip and hop! The camera is great. Plus I've noticed it's just, like, smoother. For instance, I use samsung pay allot. With the S8 it would take almost 30 seconds for the payment to process. Now it processes as soon as you tap the machine. I mean, just the start up is faster, turning it on. Everything just seems to work so much better. Smoother. It works like it should!

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the S8 to S9 would be but my wife went from the S8 to the S9+ and that is worthwhile. The screen size, battery and it's a little thinner. She liked it better.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Better yet, Samsung should not differentiate between the two models so much. Before, the S8 and S8 Plus offered no compromises other than the obvious screen size and battery size. This time around, they took a page out of Apple's book and gave the S9+ variant dual cameras and extra RAM. That's unfortunate.

It pushed me to pre-order the S9+, too. I really enjoy the size and ergonomics of the S8. I know the Plus variants are incredibly ergonomic considering the 6.2" screen size, but the actual physical size has always been just a hair too large for me.

We'll see how it feels when it arrives!

barbarianthemadserb

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded from the S8 to the s9+. S9+ for me is a super upgrade. I love the camera with the adjustable f stop (1.5 to 2.4. ). I am on TMO so I also like that the S9+ has bands 66 and 71. It also has more ram. I also like the blood pressure monitor (some kind of new optic sensor is added). First one needs to input one's BP readings from some other device then using the BP program off Playstore get your reading "registered" so to speak with your finger on the sensor and the pressure (don't ask me about the technical stuff of how it does it). Then, daily if you want, use your finger to take the BP on the sensor on the phone and it will give percentages of higher or lower. I have not yet taken an actual bp reading in order to start but will do so. I am also a tech fanatic as I also have the Hwawei P20 Pro.

update: I took my bp reading via arm cuff at the VA as well as the finger cuff I have at home and it reads almost identical to the S9+ app for Blood pressure. I have been using for a while and the readings are consistant with any "cuff BP readings". Also of real value to me is being able to take my "o2 (oxygen)" reading and pulse rate. This makes it, for me, the best Android phone I have and well worth the money I paid for it.

Last edited:

omelet1978

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
So after using the S9 for a few months after owning a S8, I can say that there is a difference and that while not a flashy upgrade it is an upgrade.

The speaker on the top makes a difference and the screen is noticably more crisp even though it’s the same resolution. The battery life is similar and the software is better. For example, the Pandora app in my car had issues working with the S8, but has no problems on the S9. I bought my S8 used and it had some issues, so I took advantage of the trade in and updated. If my S8 had been working just fine I’d have kept it and passed on the S9...BUT that being said after upgrading it’s a nice phone and I’m glad I made the switch.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Didn't have the S8 but had the note 8 for for a few months last year. For me there are pretty significant upgrades, particularly coming from the S8/S8+. With the S9 plus You get double the storage in the uk (128gb), 6GB of ram, a faster CPU, Dolby atmos stereo speakers, dual lens camera, variable aperture, 1 extra year of software updates.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
It's a marketing thing I think. It's almost exactly the same phone as S8, at least externally. Same screen size, same resolution, same battery, same everything. I already have 6GB of RAM.
Well they might have tweaked a few things and put this label on top of it.

It's not a major release like from Windows 7 to 10, more like minor version 7.1 an incremental ugprade. I don't like S8 all that much and this does not address any of its issues.

Same stupid 18.5:9 ratio, curved edges, built-in battery that I don't need. It's 100% marketing.

My next phone will be LG V20. It's older and dated but the specs are still competetive. 16:9, flat screen, removable 10,000 mAh aftermarket battery. Nice. And the prices have crashed through the floor.

Projectphill

Mar 15, 2017
Visit site
I say yes I ent from the 8 to the iphone 7 plus to the s8 plus to the note 8 to the Iphone X and Now back to the S9 plus and I like it better then the s8 for the camera alone

Bankokbob54

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I went from the S7 to the S9 and it is a fairly big difference, mostly in regards to smoothness, speed and battery life. The charger also charges fast. My S9 went from like 20% to 95% in 90 min. Btw, I also discovered by enabling fast charging on my S7 it does the same thing. Really pisses me off because I've had the S7 for over two yrs and I just found the fast charging option. I should have searched for that sooner. Anyway, I did not opt for an S8 previously, so I can't give accurate advice about upgrading to an S9 from that. Personally, I think skipping a model is better for me.

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded from the s8+ to the 9+, my opinion, the brighter screen, more ram and faster processor is nice, I can tell the difference. I think samsung has gone overboard on the price tho..is it worth it, if you can get a discount then yes, if not...then..... how much spending can you hide from the wife :)

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the S8 to S9 would be but my wife went from the S8 to the S9+ and that is worthwhile. The screen size, battery and it's a little thinner. She liked it better.

This is what I just did (s8 to s9+) after determining the Pixel 3XL was a flaming dumpster fire. Have used it for 2 days now, but can say the set up is made much easier thanks to Samsung Smart Switch and Nova Launcher backup. The biggest pain is logging back into all the accounts (work email, linked in, FB, etc.) although Google had saved many of those passwords so I didn't even need to look them up.

I wanted the bigger screen and it is fantastic. Just the right size, which is a teeny bit smaller than the Nexus 6p and smaller than the new Note 9. Definitely smoother overall...swiping between home screens and apps, opening and closing apps, etc. Have noticed not one stutter. I'm expecting great things since the S8 really got solid after the Oreo upgrade, and on a slower chip with less RAM.

Only thing I haven't done is take pictures, but everything else has been fantastic and I'm glad I upgraded.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
A 10000 battery would be nice. I believe you're mistaking the phone case with built-in battery. The phone has a 3200 ma battery.
In Samsungs lineup, the Note 9 and S8 Active are at 4k the most capacity.
It's a marketing thing I think. It's almost exactly the same phone as S8, at least externally. Same screen size, same resolution, same battery, same everything. I already have 6GB of RAM.
Well they might have tweaked a few things and put this label on top of it.

It's not a major release like from Windows 7 to 10, more like minor version 7.1 an incremental ugprade. I don't like S8 all that much and this does not address any of its issues.

Same stupid 18.5:9 ratio, curved edges, built-in battery that I don't need. It's 100% marketing.

My next phone will be LG V20. It's older and dated but the specs are still competetive. 16:9, flat screen, removable 10,000 mAh aftermarket battery. Nice. And the prices have crashed through the floor.

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Samsung should drop the non-plus variant as the additional screen real estate is not that big of a deal. Just produce one regular Galaxy variant with the larger display with the only difference between it and the Note is the stylus. Then also the Active variant.

Speak for yourself. A lot of people including myself love the smaller size of the regular galaxy. It's much better for one handed use and is more pocketable for someone who does a lot of walking.