Is it worth upgrading to the S9 from the S8? Or just a spec bump?

medic22003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Speak for yourself. A lot of people including myself love the smaller size of the regular galaxy. It's much better for one handed use and is more pocketable for someone who does a lot of walking.

I agree 100%. I chose the s9 over the+ for that very reason. Just easier to handle and carry. Still does all need it to

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
I did upgrade from the S8+ to the S9+ and I don't think it was worth it, but that's not to say I'm not happy.

Last edited:

gmlongo

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
S9+ is nice, but seems mostly incremental. With the S10 being released in Feb or Mar, might be worth waiting. S10 is supposed to be a rather large technical advancement.

medic22003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
My bad: On S9 text page, must go to top of page to phone icon, hit that, see number at bottom, then press button to call... too many steps now vs just sliding to the right to call the person on my S8.

Ever consider just using something like textra? You don't HAVE to use what the oem gives you.

Glen2018

Feb 11, 2018
Visit site
I went from the S8 to the S9 and found very little difference. The main change was the finger print reader at the back. The S8's reader was beside the camera and the S9's is below the camera. It took my finger a while to develop the muscle memory but now I get fewer finger prints on the camera. The new reader is quicker and more reliable than the one on the S8 which was known to have some issues. Generally the S9 feels like an S8 with some of the bugs worked out. I would definitely wait for the S10 if you want the latest and greatest technology. On the other hand, getting the S9 now, or once the S10 is officially announced, will mean that you should be able to pick it up for a great price for a good reliable phone.

onewileydog

Apr 20, 2019
Visit site
The S9 is junk, wait for a phone with 5G. The buttons are difficult to find on the S9 (bring back my S7), the screen protector peels off the curved screen, and the curved screen causes me to accidentally touch app icons. Further, you cannot shut off Bixby, you can only modify how it is enabled. The Alarm defaults to Bixby Voice and you CANNOT change it. If you want to use an alarm (like morningglory), you must select it every time. Further, without the HOME button, you cannot tell if the phone is upside down or not by feel. Junk.

iamwongchen

Jul 24, 2019
Visit site
The S9 is junk, wait for a phone with 5G. The buttons are difficult to find on the S9 (bring back my S7), the screen protector peels off the curved screen, and the curved screen causes me to accidentally touch app icons. Further, you cannot shut off Bixby, you can only modify how it is enabled. The Alarm defaults to Bixby Voice and you CANNOT change it. If you want to use an alarm (like morningglory), you must select it every time. Further, without the HOME button, you cannot tell if the phone is upside down or not by feel. Junk.

Screen protectors are available now which fit properly on curved mobiles.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm considering getting the S10 once the next one comes out when it should be cheaper. To replace the S8...
I just got to a point where I think $1,500 for a phone that isn't much different from the old one every year is not justifiable for me any more. My S8 is ticking along OK, but I may get the S10 when the S11 is out and they try to get rid of them for a better price...

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
You can shut off bixby complete with an app called package disabler (PD MDM). It was worth the buy and lets you disable many other sammy crap you don't need. My button does absolutely nothing now. This along with Nova Launcher is a great phone, for me.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You can shut off bixby complete with an app called package disabler (PD MDM). It was worth the buy and lets you disable many other sammy crap you don't need. My button does absolutely nothing now. This along with Nova Launcher is a great phone, for me.
Meh. BxActions would be a better choice. At least you aren't left with a useless button. You get a button that you can remap the press, double press, long press, double press and hold to a lot of actions or apps. Heck you can have different actions for a locked phone and unlocked phone.

youdoofus

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Meh. BxActions would be a better choice. At least you aren't left with a useless button. You get a button that you can remap the press, double press, long press, double press and hold to a lot of actions or apps. Heck you can have different actions for a locked phone and unlocked phone.

i use this app as well and i find it to be a life saver, especially when i first got it because i bumped that godd@mn button like every tome i was trying to change the volume. I instinctively used my intuition for spatial placement of my fingers as ive been using samsung phones since the S3 and would inexorably end up hitting that little mutherfooker.... over... and over.... and over............ now it does nothing when the screen is on and launches the camera when the screen is off. Finally retrained my fingers to go where the volume buttons actually are vs where my muscle memory thought they were lol

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I just got a refurbished S9 for $275. I was using an iPhone for a while so it's nice to be back to android. I was able to remap the Bixby button so now it opens up Google assistant

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol