Are you happy Samsung moved the location of the fingerprint sensor on the S9?

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I think I'll like it. But I'm not sure how this will work for swiping the fingerprint sensor to get the notification panel. That was a nifty feature which I hope they don't take away!

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I still prefer the way Sony did it on Z5 series. It was part of the power button on the side. But I'd prefer front sensor vs rear with the caveat that I don't like physical home buttons as with older galaxy phones. it'll be really nice when in screen versions come out. But the new placement on the s9 will probably be better. Not that I care that much since I use my smart watch as a trusted device so I rarely need to use it.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't care. I can adapt. I find the one on my S8+ easy to use. It's just as easy as the one on my Pixel 2 XL for me to reach. Of course, I don't have small hands.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I tested it out in store - though I did have limited testing abilities since it was tethered with a line to the display table. I don't mind it at all in the center - will just take some finger placement retraining as I've been used to the fingerprint off to the side since the S8+

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Ideally speaking, I would like the camera and fingerprint module not be close to each other but definitely a welcome change in position compared to previous phones.

Attalla

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Not having a serious problem with it but I have to carefully reach for it everytime as it is too close to the camera. Can't compare it to the s8 cuz I upgraded from a S7 edge where the fingerprint was embedded in the home button. Would've been amazing and more comfortable if the s9 plus was separated like on other devices like oneplus or pixel.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
having now used the 9+ it is better for sure but still not great.

I wonder who at Samsung thinks having it so close to the camera is a good idea?

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Obviously, the S9+ is an improvement.

Why can't Samsung seperate the FPS away from the camera like what Google, LG, OnePlus does?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Obviously, the S9+ is an improvement.

Why can't Samsung seperate the FPS away from the camera like what Google, LG, OnePlus does?
The only reason I can think of on the S9 is better durability. Poking glass with multiple holes would make it more prone to breaking.

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
It should’ve been in this spot last year. I don’t know what Samsung was thinking by putting it next to the camera.

Was wondering this and I can only conclude a couple things from that.
-Samsung wanted to have something that most wanted changed done to the S9 series since most of the S9 is a HW upgrade...
-The designers had that option only based on the fps shape the thickness of the device/wireless charging coil/camera sensor size.
-Samsung wanted to give lefty's some love? :)