Thinking about jumping to S9+ from LG V20

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I like the improvements and other updates. Anyone have thoughts about the headphone jack sound quality on the S9+? I really enjoy the sound quality of the V20 and don't want a major disappointment.

I realize the phone has not hit the streets yet but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd probably head to a store, try out the Note 8 or S8, and decide. The V20 comes with that fancy DAC, which the S9 will not have. If you ARE a discerning audiophile, you WILL notice the difference. If you, like myself, are a 'normal' music enthusiast, using the right headphones will probably suffice (I threw away the tinny Samsung ones and kept the B&O ones that came with the V20 and couldn't be happier).

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Agree with @SpookDroid - S9 seems to beat the V20 at everything except possibly audio, so really depends on how discerning your ears are. Definitely should check one out in a store and do a side by side listen.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I like the improvements and other updates. Anyone have thoughts about the headphone jack sound quality on the S9+? I really enjoy the sound quality of the V20 and don't want a major disappointment.

I realize the phone has not hit the streets yet but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sound will not compare if that is important to you.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Sound will not compare if that is important to you.

Thanks for all the replies.

I suspect you are right and that is part of my quandary. I used to travel frequently (long haul) and the quality of "wired sound" was very important. Now most of my travel is in my car listening to music via a Bluetooth connection. I'm not sure the LG DAC is as critical anymore.

Still though, don't want a phone where my music sounds crappy.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I suspect you are right and that is part of my quandary. I used to travel frequently (long haul) and the quality of "wired sound" was very important. Now most of my travel is in my car listening to music via a Bluetooth connection. I'm not sure the LG DAC is as critical anymore.

It may be adequate

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

It's not crappy. Just not as good as the V20 with a PROPER wired headset sounds like. But it's definitely not crappy, again, with the right headphones. If most of your listening will be through BT, you should be fine in that department.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Now most of my travel is in my car listening to music via a Bluetooth connection. I'm not sure the LG DAC is as critical anymore.

For BT, the S9 will have better performance - the LG DAC can theoretically be replaced by an external DAC for wired listening, if it does become important.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I’m a pretty discerning audiophile and I never understood the hype of the V20’s DAC. Did it sound good? Yes, and I primarily use decent wired headphones. It just didn’t sound night and day better than my S7e at the time. It didn’t sound better (to me) than all but my lowliest of headphone amps.

I say all that to say I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in the sound quality of Samsung’s offerings compared to LG’s flagships but that’s just my opinion. I do try not to be an audio snob.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Funny. I want to go the other way, from S8+ to LG V20.

I don't like curved screen 18.5:9 ratio, lack of removable battery and the user interface. It's like they combined all the non-working ideas and put them into one device. It's too narrow. It doesn't feel like it has a 6.2" screen. V20 looks larger.

The latest-greatest Samsungs are pretty fast, I will grant that. Better CPU, more memory. But overall, I am completely unimpressed with S8+.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd take about anything to get out of the V20. Even the V30. But the V 30 would be almost my last choice of newest phones. Horrible photos on both of those phones. I'm not sure what LG was thinking. I've owned the V20 twice I've owned the V30 twice both times I the same results with photo quality. I don't like to use manual mode. Point and shoot only. Front facing camera on the v20 as well as v30 both are horrible. They may as well be VGA quality

Last edited:

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
The V30 has superb sound when either listening through headphones or connecting directly to the car's aux input if you have a good sound system in your car, and it's advantage over the V20 is that it doesn't eat up battery like there's no tomorrow when the HiFi setting is turned on. But ultimately outside of sound quality through the headphone jack, there really is no comparison.

Everything about the S9+ will be miles ahead. The camera, the speed, the beautiful display. If you're really worried about sound, I'd suggest keeping the V20 in the car with a direct connection to the aux port or better yet, if your car audio unit has an SD card reader or a USB reader, your car's head unit probably has a vastly superior DAC to the V20.

I had the V20 and later the V30 primarily for the music. Ultimately I switched to an SD card in my car, and a Note 8 (also trying a Pixel XL 2 in the process). Haven't looked back at that decision.

SaltGuy

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I truly love my V20 after getting settled in from losing 2 Note 7s in trade-ins...
seriously considering s9+ and may be Note 9...

May not jump the gun until I see how everything goes after a few weeks in people's hands. Like I said, I dont hate my phone, so will just keep reading and keeping an eye out.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I made the move today; V20 to 9+. I'm going to miss the extended battery, though. Since I don't listen to music on my phone, that's not a real issue for me (although I use a BT headset, so there shouldn't be a difference). The overall performance should be improved and the new processor should give things a noticable boost (including battery life). I really like my V20, so I'm taking an educated guess that the 9+ will serve me well.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I made the move today; V20 to 9+. I'm going to miss the extended battery, though. Since I don't listen to music on my phone, that's not a real issue for me (although I use a BT headset, so there shouldn't be a difference). The overall performance should be improved and the new processor should give things a noticable boost (including battery life). I really like my V20, so I'm taking an educated guess that the 9+ will serve me well.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll look forward to your report in the future since you will be upgrading from a V20 to an S9+. By the looks of you avatar, you seem to be a musician and you don't listen to music on your V20!?:eek:

VagrantSaint

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Funny. I want to go the other way, from S8+ to LG V20.

I don't like curved screen 18.5:9 ratio, lack of removable battery and the user interface. It's like they combined all the non-working ideas and put them into one device. It's too narrow. It doesn't feel like it has a 6.2" screen. V20 looks larger.

The latest-greatest Samsungs are pretty fast, I will grant that. Better CPU, more memory. But overall, I am completely unimpressed with S8+.

Lol all the reasons you list are why I'm thinking of jumping from my V20 to the S9. Mainly the phone is too big for my pocket, I hate the removable battery, and I'm ready to have a top of the line camera

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae