Reviewers Really Have to STOP Saying This

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's why I said in general. It's not all of them of course, but there's no doubt that the iPhone bias in heaviest in the US.

Makes sense though since it took off here first. A lot of people are creatures of habit. Some won't even try the other side since they know iPhone and don't like change.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
My iPhone Xes are heavy-ish devices (to me) but it never occurred to me before to notice it much and I certainly wouldn’t say the weight makes it premium. That said, I do prefer glass and metal to plastic. To me...to me, they’re more premium materials than the plastics I’ve encountered in phones. With what’s happening with phone prices I do prefer the use of materials I deem more premium.

However, titanium is what I would consider a premium metal that we know to be strong and light. The problem is cost. How much more would it cost to have a Note 8 with a titanium and carbon fibre body. Premium materials? Sure, you betcha. Lightweight? Lighter than the current design. ...but likely notably more expensive. Enough so that it might impact sales...so we don’t get to see too many lightweight/premium materialed phones.

I have no problem with aluminium/steel and glass. Premium enough and more reasonable in cost. I don’t expect to get repetitive motion injuries from lifting a Note 8 or iPhone X.

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I think Samsung feeds off these reviewers. And they start assuming hmm, people think heavier phones are premium. Lots of reviewers say it. Take notice when the s9 reviews pour out. They'll definitely say it feels more sturdy, heavier, and thus premium.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The heft of the iPhone X really does make it feel premium and it is. It's made from premium materials. Conversely, the Pixel 2 XL I had felt too light and cheap.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I prefer a lighter-feeling phone myself. I imagine that a heavy phone or case could eventually result in muscle strain with fingers and/or hands.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I wish they’d used titanium in the iPhone X but I have no complaints whatsoever about glass and steel. The X is a nice phone as are the Samsung flagships (I’m talking build materials, amongst other things).

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely hate how every reviewer benchmarks the iPhone X and says that it the iPhone feels more premium because it's heavier. "The heft and sturdyness makes this phone feel premium with substance." Stupid comments like this make Samsung go back to the drawing board and come up with heavier phones. Do you know how bad that is for your hand and ergonomics? Most people don't know how much damage they do to their muscle by putting huge metallic Otter cases on them. Do you know how much material you waste, trying to get heavier phones? No. Heavy never meant premium. I dunno who started that dumb argument but we need to stop saying stupid stuff like that and associating premium with brick like phones!
Well Android Central keeps having a love feast on the Pixels and they are are not hefty.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's an opinion.

Basically, it's more or less a preference thing.

Personally, I dislike light phones. I had a Moto Z for the past year (replaced by the Note8 last September) and one of the things I disliked was the lack of weight. Without a battery mod on it, it felt way too light for me. I understand that for some, light means premium, but it's the opposite for me. Anything light feels too much like a toy in my personal view.

I preferred the near-200g heft of the Note8 (now even more so due to me slapping a thick case over it). Does it make it more "premium"? Heck no, but the additional heft makes it feel much more reassuring in my hand, like it's a solid chunk of slab.

sleepnclass

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
For me heft does add to the feel of the phone. For example the pixel 2xl is to light and feels cheap to me. The iPhone does feel good in the hand. So does the note 8. While I understand the argument of ergonomics that's two different arguments. To to me the thin light phones do feel cheap. Doesn't make them bad devices by any means. Just how I perceive them and it has nothing to do with a article or how someone else feels or sees it's. Everyone is different.

I'd agree with this.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
It's not about having muscles. It's about repetitive motion of holding something over and over. And it causes issues the heavier it is.

Kind of like hitting the weights in the gym and doing sets and reps like curling dumbbells over and over again? This is actually good for you and any personal trainer as well as medical experts will tell you this. Resistance training is good for you because it conditions and strengthens your muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it should be a matter of heft, but distributing the weight evenly. I think it was Andrew who said the S7? (can't remember which Samsung device) seemed rather top heavy, making him think that it would be more prone to dropping the phone.

chamomiami

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
thanks God i dont use my phone for weight lifting.. i do exercise differently, but good point a little stress on the complaint but a good point
btw i normally buy phones because the interface / OS / camera / storage / color

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm very happy to see I'm not alone on this. Premium does not mean heavy Samsung. You can make a premium light phone that doesn't hurt when it drops on your face. I'm also betting lighter phones makes the drops easier.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm very happy to see I'm not alone on this. Premium does not mean heavy Samsung. You can make a premium light phone that doesn't hurt when it drops on your face. I'm also betting lighter phones makes the drops easier.
Well, you were never alone to begin with.

It's a preference thing. I prefer heavier phones but others prefer lighter ones. There's nothing wrong with that.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I think more people, than not, associate the increased weight with increased value, when it comes to electronics. We’ve been conditioned to believe that we’re getting more when devices are heavier, unless something is being marketed as lightweight.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol