03-03-2018 04:28 AM
41 12
tools
    I absolutely hate how every reviewer benchmarks the iPhone X and says that it the iPhone feels more premium because it's heavier. "The heft and sturdyness makes this phone feel premium with substance." Stupid comments like this make Samsung go back to the drawing board and come up with heavier phones. Do you know how bad that is for your hand and ergonomics? Most people don't know how much damage they do to their muscle by putting huge metallic Otter cases on them. Do you know how much material you waste, trying to get heavier phones? No. Heavy never meant premium. I dunno who started that dumb argument but we need to stop saying stupid stuff like that and associating premium with brick like phones!
    SR45 likes this.
    02-28-2018 10:18 PM
    For me heft does add to the feel of the phone. For example the pixel 2xl is to light and feels cheap to me. The iPhone does feel good in the hand. So does the note 8. While I understand the argument of ergonomics that's two different arguments. To to me the thin light phones do feel cheap. Doesn't make them bad devices by any means. Just how I perceive them and it has nothing to do with a article or how someone else feels or sees it's. Everyone is different.
    02-28-2018 10:26 PM
    Weight does not a premium phone make. Best form factor: Note 5. Feels about 1/3rd the weight of Note 8.

This chasing after Apple is ridiculous. Weight, glass backs, etc
    02-28-2018 10:49 PM
    They're simply sharing their opinions. If they think it feels more premium.. well.. they're just telling their audience what they think.
    morriea, tube517, Law2138 and 3 others like this.
    02-28-2018 10:49 PM
    A heavier phone sits more firmly in my hand. A lightweight phone tends to "float" (for lack of a better term), making them harder for me to grip. Kind of like trying to hold two basketballs, one of normal weight and the other light as a feather. Plus, added weight often means added bulk within the phone, which can mean more structural support. With the push to make them more thin and lightweight, it can lead to a more fragile phone (I.e. Early metal bodied phones bending, or stiffer glass body phones that then introduce the risk of glass breakage).

So yeah, give me a phone with some heft to it that I don't have to handle with kid gloves.
    tadpoles likes this.
    02-28-2018 10:50 PM
    A heavier phone feels more premium? lol
    I never remember hearing that with the old reviews of the old Nokia Lumia Windows phones.
    Those things weighed a ton and people complained.
    02-28-2018 11:44 PM
    "A reviewer said this and people are shocked"
    02-28-2018 11:48 PM
    Not shocked. Annoyed. I think the current s8 feels great weight wise and I hope the s10 is not heavier than the s9
    03-01-2018 02:25 AM
    In regards to the weight epidemic we also have to realise that components as well can attribute to have a phone of a greater size. We want bigger batteries and better camera technology which often leads to a higher phone mass. Most Manufactures do a good job at keeping the foot prints of a phone relatively reasonable and Samsung has learned their lesson from the note 7 about cramming everything they can into a smaller than usual amount of space. I'm good with a slightly heavier phone if it will work efficiently the way I want it to.
    tadpoles and libra89 like this.
    03-01-2018 04:38 AM
    If you feel a phone is heavy and bad for your muscles, you need to hit the gym but agree with you, heft = premium is dumb. I have a Note 8 and an iPhone X but I feel my Note 8 is more premium because of all the features it has. They should make the frames out of carbon fiber and make it light as a feather.
    11B1P likes this.
    03-01-2018 06:58 AM
    I think they're trying to avoid the bend gate issue. lol
    03-01-2018 07:01 AM
    If you feel a phone is heavy and bad for your muscles, you need to hit the gym but agree with you, heft = premium is dumb. I have a Note 8 and an iPhone X but I feel my Note 8 is more premium because of all the features it has. They should make the frames out of carbon fiber and make it light as a feather.
    It's not about having muscles. It's about repetitive motion of holding something over and over. And it causes issues the heavier it is.
    SR45 likes this.
    03-01-2018 08:24 AM
    I personally dislike how heavy the Note8 is for example. A premium phone doesn't have to be overly heavy. There's a balance that can be struck.

Many American reviewers in general have a serious iPhone bias, so there's really no point paying comments like that much mind.

The same people complained when past phones were heavier, while complimenting how light the iPhone was.
    SR45 likes this.
    03-01-2018 10:03 AM
    No one said weight makes it premium. Like unsaid weight to me makes it seem more premium. Not that it makes it premium. People are getting hung up on words. And again not everyone agrees. And that fine. But you can say because you don't agree makes them wrong. Everyone feels different about what constitutes a premium device. Or what makes a device seem premium. For some it might be the camera while others may not care. Other it might be the chip and some might not care. They are all opinions.
    03-01-2018 10:07 AM
    I personally dislike how heavy the Note8 is for example. A premium phone doesn't have to be overly heavy. There's a balance that can be struck.

Many American reviewers in general have a serious iPhone bias, so there's really no point paying comments like that much mind.

The same people complained when past phones were heavier, while complimenting how light the iPhone was.
    Depends on which American reviewer you're watching. The ones I watch tell you how it is. I don't watch people who just love iPhone and can't find one fault with it.

Anyone who can't find a fault with one phone shows they're biased since no phone is perfect.
    03-01-2018 11:33 AM
    OP should really stop making threads with clickbait titles.

I also hate how phone reviewers got all manufacturers to stop using plastic because they complained about it being a 'fingerprint magnet'. So now we all have glass phones that shatter if you look at them wrong. Honestly, these review sites can mold the future of phones by what they like or don't like. It's not as much up to the consumer it seems.
    areyes163 and hasasimo like this.
    03-01-2018 11:43 AM
    OP should really stop making threads with clickbait titles.

I also hate how phone reviewers got all manufacturers to stop using plastic because they complained about it being a 'fingerprint magnet'. So now we all have glass phones that shatter if you look at them wrong. Honestly, these review sites can mold the future of phones by what they like or don't like. It's not as much up to the consumer it seems.
    I never remember them saying plastic was a fingerprint magnet -- If anything it was the complete opposite. Glass is the fingerprint magnet lol.

I just remember them saying plastic felt "cheap" -- nothing about FP.
    03-01-2018 11:44 AM
    From the AC GS4 review:

"The battery door is furnished in shiny plastic with a fine reflective diamond pattern. On the “mist black” Galaxy S4 we’re reviewing, it contrasts sharply against the dark grey on the front; on the white version, it’s less noticeable. It’s inoffensive enough, but it does tend to pick up fingerprints and smudges more easily than we’d like."

This was a constant complaint. Plastic backed phones felt 'slimy' and picked up fingerprints.
    03-01-2018 12:01 PM
    From the AC GS4 review:

"The battery door is furnished in shiny plastic with a fine reflective diamond pattern. On the “mist black” Galaxy S4 we’re reviewing, it contrasts sharply against the dark grey on the front; on the white version, it’s less noticeable. It’s inoffensive enough, but it does tend to pick up fingerprints and smudges more easily than we’d like."

This was a constant complaint. Plastic backed phones felt 'slimy' and picked up fingerprints.
    That is one reviewer -- I don't remember that echoing across the field. Any one reviewer can say something.

People take reviews a tad too serious... a lot forget all a review is .. is the opinion of said reviewer. No different then a forum post.
    tadpoles likes this.
    03-01-2018 12:10 PM
    Depends on which American reviewer you're watching. The ones I watch tell you how it is. I don't watch people who just love iPhone and can't find one fault with it.

Anyone who can't find a fault with one phone shows they're biased since no phone is perfect.
    That's why I said in general. It's not all of them of course, but there's no doubt that the iPhone bias in heaviest in the US.
    03-01-2018 01:42 PM
    That's why I said in general. It's not all of them of course, but there's no doubt that the iPhone bias in heaviest in the US.
    Makes sense though since it took off here first. A lot of people are creatures of habit. Some won't even try the other side since they know iPhone and don't like change.
    RevePro and hasasimo like this.
    03-01-2018 01:45 PM
    My iPhone Xes are heavy-ish devices (to me) but it never occurred to me before to notice it much and I certainly wouldn’t say the weight makes it premium. That said, I do prefer glass and metal to plastic. To me...to me, they’re more premium materials than the plastics I’ve encountered in phones. With what’s happening with phone prices I do prefer the use of materials I deem more premium.

However, titanium is what I would consider a premium metal that we know to be strong and light. The problem is cost. How much more would it cost to have a Note 8 with a titanium and carbon fibre body. Premium materials? Sure, you betcha. Lightweight? Lighter than the current design. ...but likely notably more expensive. Enough so that it might impact sales...so we don’t get to see too many lightweight/premium materialed phones.

I have no problem with aluminium/steel and glass. Premium enough and more reasonable in cost. I don’t expect to get repetitive motion injuries from lifting a Note 8 or iPhone X.
    03-01-2018 02:44 PM
    I think Samsung feeds off these reviewers. And they start assuming hmm, people think heavier phones are premium. Lots of reviewers say it. Take notice when the s9 reviews pour out. They'll definitely say it feels more sturdy, heavier, and thus premium.
    03-01-2018 03:13 PM
    The heft of the iPhone X really does make it feel premium and it is. It's made from premium materials. Conversely, the Pixel 2 XL I had felt too light and cheap.
    areyes163 likes this.
    03-01-2018 03:42 PM
    I prefer a lighter-feeling phone myself. I imagine that a heavy phone or case could eventually result in muscle strain with fingers and/or hands.
    03-01-2018 03:55 PM
41 12