Intelligent Scan

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not surprised. I'm really not disappointed either. Honestly, almost all of my apps with any sensitive information all have further security on them. This will just make it quicker to get into my phone which, in my opinion, is a good thing.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I just feel like if the fruit company can do it so can Samsung. Fingerprint scan and iris scanning will work, as I understand it so there is that.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As soon as I heard it used the Front-Facing camera only (again) I knew it wouldn't be as secure.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I have no issues with this, even if it's not as secure with facial unlock it continues to give options. Fingerprint and iris scanning are still plenty secure.

IMO the whole "secure" argument is not as big as its made out to be. Most people will not get their phone broken into even if they only use a password or pattern unlock lol. If someone steals your phone they will wipe it. If someone you know wants to see what's on your phone then there's plenty of secure features to stop them.

Privacy is important but what in the world is everyone doing that they need fort Knox security to stop their wife and kids from using their phone? Lmbo!

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I just feel like if the fruit company can do it so can Samsung. Fingerprint scan and iris scanning will work, as I understand it so there is that.
They probably can do it, but I'm sure Apple has patented the way they do it so I'm sure they don't want to get sued. They also probably know most people won't care. They just want to unlock their phones quickly.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
The article wasn't specific, but with samsung pay, it will not work with just facial recognition. Makes me wonder if you can opt to only use iris scan instead of intelligent scan. In which case, it would function just like the s8.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have no issues with this, even if it's not as secure with facial unlock it continues to give options. Fingerprint and iris scanning are still plenty secure.

IMO the whole "secure" argument is not as big as its made out to be. Most people will not get their phone broken into even if they only use a password or pattern unlock lol. If someone steals your phone they will wipe it. If someone you know wants to see what's on your phone then there's plenty of secure features to stop them.

Privacy is important but what in the world is everyone doing that they need fort Knox security to stop their wife and kids from using their phone? Lmbo!

Just because "most won't get their phone broken into" doesn't mean being lax on security is okay. It is up to the individual but the tools should still be good.

No one plans security in terms of purposely losing their phone. They don't say "Man the day this phone gets stolen I will be sooo good... Maybe next week" .. You don't plan losing a phone just like you don't plan a car accident.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Just because "most won't get their phone broken into" doesn't mean being lax on security is okay. It is up to the individual but the tools should still be good.

No one plans security in terms of purposely losing their phone. They don't say "Man the day this phone gets stolen I will be sooo good... Maybe next week" .. You don't plan losing a phone just like you don't plan a car accident.
I definitely agree with you that security shouldn't be laxed. I wasn't trying to say that at all, I think security is important. Companies should give us the proper tools to secure our devices which I think most do.

I just think that once apple said the chances of tricking face Id is 1 in however many millions, it's become a number one topic on all phones that come out. But IMO today most phones are secure and that number of 1 in insert # here is becoming a marketing tool.

I've had someone get into my phone 1 time years ago, (my blackberry curve) and they stole pictures. Back then we only had passwords and the way they got in was because they took advantage of a situation and got to my phone before the screen turned off. It was user error and now I use all forms of security available on my note 8 and I do turn my screen off before sitting my phone down. I try to prevent user error so to speak and not leave myself vulnerable.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I definitely agree with you that security shouldn't be laxed. I wasn't trying to say that at all, I think security is important. Companies should give us the proper tools to secure our devices which I think most do.

I just think that once apple said the chances of tricking face Id is 1 in however many millions, it's become a number one topic on all phones that come out. But IMO today most phones are secure and that number of 1 in insert # here is becoming a marketing tool.

I've had someone get into my phone 1 time years ago, (my blackberry curve) and they stole pictures. Back then we only had passwords and the way they got in was because they took advantage of a situation and got to my phone before the screen turned off. It was user error and now I use all forms of security available on my note 8 and I do turn my screen off before sitting my phone down. I try to prevent user error so to speak and not leave myself vulnerable.

Oh it is def. a marketing tool ... but Samsung has been tricked with a simple photo. That is why people say what they say. I don't recall Face ID being tricked with a simple photo of someone but I could be wrong.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Oh it is def. a marketing tool ... but Samsung has been tricked with a simple photo. That is why people say what they say. I don't recall Face ID being tricked with a simple photo of someone but I could be wrong.
No but it's been tricked by family members who look alike. Nothing is perfect. If you really want security go with a strong password. Everything else is less secure. But everyone wants the faster possible security. And that's fine. Myself included.

The problem for me is not who can get into my phone. Almost all apps now have extra security. It's the security of those apps like my bank and such that concerns me. And the security of the websites I use and trusting them with my personal info. And for what it's worth. If the U.S. government can be hacked. Do you truly think if someone truly skilled enough wants in your device they cant do it. For your everyday thief all they will do is wipe your device and sell it for fast cash.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No but it's been tricked by family members who look alike. Nothing is perfect. If you really want security go with a strong password. Everything else is less secure. But everyone wants the faster possible security. And that's fine. Myself included.

The problem for me is not who can get into my phone. Almost all apps now have extra security. It's the security of those apps like my bank and such that concerns me. And the security of the websites I use and trusting them with my personal info. And for what it's worth. If the U.S. government can be hacked. Do you truly think if someone truly skilled enough wants in your device they cant do it. For your everyday thief all they will do is wipe your device and sell it for fast cash.

As you said "Someone who is skilled enough". I doubt the run of the mill person who would steal a phone would know that. It isn't just a cake wake to get past passwords and encryption. No one is going to waste that much time to get into a cell phone unless there is a very big purpose or agenda for them.

My main point wasn't that "this is the most secure thing ever" so not sure if you took it that way (from your "nothing is perfect" comment). Yes nothing is perfect BUT ... something that can be fooled by a simple photo of you (not a family member .. a photo anyone can take) is def. a lot less secure then FID or FP or PW. That is all I was pointing out. That is why Samsung's face stuff can't be used for mobile payments.

Also I would rather the every day thief wipe my phone. That means my data is safe. That is the whole point of the matter.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
As you said "Someone who is skilled enough". I doubt the run of the mill person who would steal a phone would know that. It isn't just a cake wake to get past passwords and encryption. No one is going to waste that much time to get into a cell phone unless there is a very big purpose or agenda for them.

My main point wasn't that "this is the most secure thing ever" so not sure if you took it that way (from your "nothing is perfect" comment). Yes nothing is perfect BUT ... something that can be fooled by a simple photo of you (not a family member .. a photo anyone can take) is def. a lot less secure then FID or FP or PW. That is all I was pointing out. That is why Samsung's face stuff can't be used for mobile payments.

Also I would rather the every day thief wipe my phone. That means my data is safe. That is the whole point of the matter.
Yes I agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech